introducing bri.by.bri: an upcycled collection

photo: bri mccullough

Fast fashion is a pandemic in its own right within the world of mass production. Mass consumption has consumed our world in all aspects creating negative impacts on our world. Unsafe working conditions and pollution are just two of many issues that surround the fast fashion industry.

To help push back against fast fashion, senior fashion design student Bri McCullough is currently working on her upcycled clothing collection, bri.by.bri. McCullough uses her resources to find used clothing and give it a new life. Designers like herself are making a positive impact on both the industry and the environment.

“I started a couple years ago when I got a $30 Sty mannequin off Amazon and started manipulating some of my old clothing,” McCullough said. Once she taught herself how to sew, it was off from there.

She was inspired to start her upcycled clothing collection two years ago when she made her first birthday dress. Wearing the dress out made her feel on top of the world. “It feels so fun to wear something so original to you, it’s such a cool thing,” McCullough said.

McCullough explains that she enjoys “clothing with character” found in thrift stores and enjoys giving them a new purpose. She expressed how thrift stores are filled with so much potential and thinks to herself, “What can I do with this?”

“To be able to take something old and turn it into something new never gets old,” McCullough said. “It can seem intimidating, but really it’s just tweaking things.”

Smart shopping can be fun, creative and durable. More importantly, upcycled and thrifted clothing is much better for the environment.

Upcycled clothing is on the rise as many are tired of poor factories and unfair conditions. Thinking about the impacts of mass consumption and the importance of sustainability before buying something is already making a difference. Stay on the lookout for bri.by.bri.

Hi! I’m Catie Pusateri, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.