Spring’s Top Beauty Trends: As Seen on the Runways

Wondering what the experts have to say about the state of beauty this spring? A Magazine scoured the runways for inspiration on the top beauty trends you have to try out in the warmer weather.

Colorful liner

A plain black wing is overplayed. Instead, try a bright liquid liner like Too Faced Liquid Art Liner in steel blue or pure white under your eyes or as a classic cat eye. This look was seen on models walking in Missoni and Ulla Johnson, and it gives you a pop of pastel that’s perfect for spring.

Shimmery highlights

With the highlighter craze still in full swing, feel free to sweep on another layer of your favorite highlighter or switch to a new one, such as Anastasia Beverly Hills Amrezy highlighter. We’ve seen this trend on the runway at Michael Costello. You can even use the product on your lids, seen at Alexander Wang, to keep your eyes looking awake yet natural.

Shades of red and pink on the lips

Nude lips are out, and red and pinks are in. Overlining your lips is okay here, like Sies Marjan showed, as long as you don’t overdo it and follow the natural shape of your lips. A subtler look, as seen on Derek Lam models, employs a blush pink lip stain to give the lips a pop of color that doesn’t seem painted on.

Au naturale

Bare faces for the spring were seen at Simone Rocha and Michael Kors. You can tweak your normal makeup routine to make it look as if you aren’t wearing a lot of makeup. It’s easy to highlight your natural beauty. You may choose to forgo face makeup altogether or just use concealer on your problem areas, finishing off with a setting powder and a rosy blush on the apples of your cheeks. For the eyes, apply a neutral shade into the creases (use your concealer to prime your lids!), then a white shimmer in your inner corners to open up the eyes up, finishing off with a coat of your favorite mascara. Lastly, a simple pink gloss can make your lips look supple and fresh.  

Clumpy lashes

Fluttery lashes weren’t seen as much on the runway this spring. Instead, clumpy and thick lashes were all the rage. To get this look, as seen in Christian Siriano and Cushnie et Ochs, apply multiple coats of mascara (such as Too Faced Better Than Sex), or use the tip of the wand to wiggle extra product onto the roots of your lashes (as Siriano’s makeup artist Polly Osmond did). Keep the rest of your look simple, as to let your lashes do the talking.

Graphic liner

Similar to colorful eyeliner, spring is about standing out. Forget about your skinny flick and instead draw on a thick wing that takes over the lid, such as Fendi did in retro fashion. To be innovative, extend a thin wing from the corner of your eyes to above your crease—as seen in Rochas.

Youthful flush

Tying into the natural trend, apply a healthy pink blush, like Makeup For Ever HD Blush in flamingo pink, to the apples of your cheeks. Bottega Veneta’s models kept the rest of their face bare for this look. If you’re not as comfortable with going completely makeup-free, use a powder foundation (W3ll People Altruist Mineral Foundation works for all skin types and is organic) and a gloss.

Glitter

Stella Jean’s stylists applied glitter all over the eye, even leaving a trail of glitter past the eyebrows. To make this look a little more wearable, nix the glitter trail and instead apply glitter gel all over your lid, keeping the rest of the eye simple by applying just mascara. It’ll give your peepers a special twinkle and draw attention to them in a unique way.