Ten Things I Can’t Live Without When Traveling

Traveling can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, especially when traveling internationally. Long security lines, customs, connecting flights, baggage claim (and let’s not forget the tragedy that is airport food). To help you combat the travel blues, here’s a curated list of products and advice.

Facial wipes
I put this as number one because it will totally change your traveling experience. Nothing is better than wiping all the grime that has accumulated on your face and hands after a long journey.

Calm mindset
Going to the airport anxious will only make your traveling experience worse. Before you leave, meditate or adopt a mantra that will leave you calm. Ex.) I will make my flight. Everything will work out. I’m OK. Then repeat this over and over. It seems silly, but it’s a useful tool.

Card case
In the airport you will have to show your ID and/or passport approximately 209320 times. I always chose a card case over a chunky wallet because it’s slim and easy, and I can see all of my cards clearly. This way you can avoid fumbling around in your bag in the security line.

Water
Dehydration is not a good look anywhere, but especially at the airport. You have to stay hydrated. Period.

Help from strangers
This is definitely a forgotten resource. Strangers have saved me from walking aimlessly around the airport countless times. Everyone is in the same situation at the airport, so people are more willing to help than you think. I find this particularly helpful in airports I’ve never been to before.

Healthy snack
As someone who has a dietary restriction, this is paramount. Airport food can be suspicious to say the least. It’s like playing Russian roulette; you never know what you’re going to get. I like to bring some sort of granola bar, nut mix and crackers.

Fire playlist
Curate your own playlist with all your favorite bops. I personally like making a playlist of chill music so it’s easier to fall asleep to. Chances are you won’t have Wi-Fi on the flight, so download your playlist to your phone beforehand.

Neck pillow
I discovered the best neck pillow and it’s called Ostrich. It’s not your ordinary neck pillow. It will change your life, and you’ll be passed out your entire flight.

Good book
Have a book you’ve been meaning to read? Bring it on your journey. Since most flights don’t have free Wi-Fi, this is a great opportunity to unplug and get started on that book you’ve been meaning to read.

Comfortable outfit
This is another point that could completely change your experience when traveling. I don’t know about you but when I’m in uncomfortable clothing, I can get moody. Picture yourself in skinny jeans sitting on a plane for two to 10 hours…that sounds like a personal hell. Leggings, a T-shirt and a zip-up jacket is usually my go-to. Pro tip: Don’t forget to wear socks, so that you’re not walking barefoot when going through security.