A Guide to Styling Black Clothing

As seasons change, the color palette in our wardrobes change, too. In the summer we go for those bright colors; fuchsia, orange and lime green – because the warm weather and tan skin compliments the season as well as our style. Following summer, fall brings in those dark earth tone colors like greens, brown and black.

There is one color we can wear any season, and it is still timeless, fashionable and appropriate for everyday wearable. We’re talking about black.

But what makes black so timeless and everyday wearable?

“No matter what fad is in at the time, I always find myself reaching for a piece of black clothing,” senior magazine journalism major Dana Miller said.

Black is a staple color piece in most women’s wardrobes, and it can be styled in different ways.

“I think all black can be casual and formal,” junior fashion merchandising Kelsie Lichtscien said.

“If it was casual, I would wear my black leather leggings tucked into black ankle boots,” Lichtscien said. “Then, I would top it with a cowl neck black turtleneck and add some silver accessories and a belt to provide contrast. In a formal setting your favorite Little Black Dress with classic black pumps would be gorgeous.”

Everyone has their own personal preference when it comes to styling clothing, but that’s what makes fashion a creative way to be expressive.

“You can style an all black outfit in many ways from a black crop top paired with black skinny jeans, a pair of (Doc Martens) in a fun color or pattern and a messy bun… jewelry with accent colors (can) bring some life to your outfit,” freshman fashion design major Hunter Faulhaber said.

Since we know there are many different ways to style an all black outfit, what makes it so timeless, and why does it remain so popular?

‘To me, black is a timeless color because it is so sleek and easy to style,” Miller said.

We take those inspirations and styles and put them into our own aesthetic. Black will always be timeless and wearable because of the sleek, classic look and the edge that comes with it.

Photos By Jacqueline Wammes