5 Holy Grail Products to Fight Dry Skin This Winter

Photography by Amelia Woodcock

The winter months ahead bring a lot of joy and celebrations, but the cold weather that comes with them can cause some serious issues for your skin. 

Once the weather becomes cold, the humidity levels drop and the heat in your apartment comes on, it can become more challenging to keep your skin hydrated.

You may already be experiencing the side effects of dry skin like itchiness and rough, cracked, or inflamed skin. However, it’s not too late to treat and prevent dry skin this season. 

Here are five skincare products that can remove flakes and hydrate your skin. 

1. The Mario Badescu’s Botanical Exfoliating Scrub

The Mario Badescu’s Botanical Exfoliating Scrub is one of the top exfoliators at Sephora.

Exfoliating does more than just eliminate dead skin cells. According to Bio Elements, exfoliators also, “unclog pores, reduce blackheads, minimize the appearance of pores and get rid of fine lines and wrinkles.”  

According to PopSugar, “the natural goods (in the exfoliator) have been pulverized to small grounds, so they provide an effective form of exfoliation without irritating sensitive skin.” 

“My favorite thing about the mask is how it preps your skin for putting on makeup, it gets rid of all your pores,” Katie Doubell, a vendor account manager at Safeguard Properties, said. “I only need to use it three times a week as opposed to others that you have to use everyday and still don’t show as much of an impact as quickly.”

This particular exfoliator is meant to eliminate dullness and provide users with a more radiant complexion by gently polishing the skin and preventing pore blockage.

The Botanical face scrub is also meant to refine uneven skin tones and textures which Doubell says is another reason she loves the mask, “overall it makes my skin smoother and helps with dry patches or weird spots with different texture.” 

2.     Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Lip Scrub

The ingredients in an exfoliator can make or break your experience with lip scrubs. 

According to Vaseline, you should look for lip scrubs that use a creamy or oily base to soften, smooth and moisturize your lips and contain humectants, which are ingredients that, “promote moisture retention by attracting water to the skin’s surface.”  

Gentle exfoliants are preferred which uses fine granule sugars, grounds, or oats and The Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Lip Scrub is a gentle exfoliant that uses fine sugar granules and has an oil base. 

“I love how much product it comes with and a little goes a long way so you don’t have to use too much on your lips,” Shannon Ring, a Biology and Pre-Dental student at Cleveland State University. “It’s also very gentle and exfoliates my lips without being too rough.”

According to Beautylish anyone can, “create a smooth, pillow-soft canvas for your lipstick with Jeffree Star’s sugary-sweet lip scrub.”

“I like that it smells good and tastes good and the packaging,” Madalyn King, a cosmetologist at Vivo Beauty Bar, said. “It smooths my lips and takes away all the dry skin.” 

Yes, you read that right. You can eat this lip scrub. 

Jeffree Star Cosmetics has come out with a total of 24 different flavors of lip scrub that are vegan, cruelty free and completely edible. 

3.     Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Hydrating Mask

Origins claims that this mask provides intensive hydration for up to 72 hours and treats the skin with “lasting nourishment.” 

The most notable ingredients in this face mask are water, rose flower water, myrtle flower water, bitter orange flower water and chamomile flower extract.

According to Bellatory

• Water helps keep skin moisturized and deliver proper nutrients. 
  • Rose flower water soothes sensitive skin while acting as a strong cleaner and toner.
  • Myrtle flower water is great at cleansing the skin of acne causing bacteria. 
  • Bitter orange flower water is great for toning and hydrating the skin.
  • Chamomile flower extract gently purifies the skin, increases skin repair and aids in healing inflammation.  

This moisturizing mask is one of Origins’ best sellers. 

Origins suggests you use the face mask twice a week by gently massaging the mask into freshly cleaned skin, leaving it on overnight and wiping the product off with a tissue when finished. 

The mask goes on easy and quickly absorbs into the skin without leaving a greasy residue. You will wake up with your skin feeling refreshed and completely hydrated. 

Origins has also created a 10 minute version of this mask for people who need to prep their skin in a pinch. 

4.    The Burt’s Bees Moisturizing Lip Mask 

The Burt’s Bees Moisturizing Lip Mask is meant to hydrate and define your lips using natural ingredients like meadowfoam seed and almond oils. 

The mask contains simple, 100% natural ingredients and is easy to use. You just smooth the mask over your lips, wait five minutes and gently massage any left over product into your lips. 

This particular mask was mentioned by Allure Magazine this year as one of the 15 Best Lip Masks to Soften Your Pout.

“I like using lip masks because they soak into my skin as opposed to chapstick or lip balm,” Alexis Ray, a fashion merchandising major, said. “I especially like the ones you can leave on overnight, because they restore my lips and keep them hydrated throughout the day.” 

Lip masks hydrate your lips in the same way that face masks hydrate your skin by combining various vitamins, minerals and ingredients used in hydrating skincare products like hyaluronic acid and glycerin. 

According to Beaut, lip masks are created to give maximum hydration and help retain moisture in your lips and help minimize fine lines around your mouth. 

5.     Belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb

This Aqua Bomb moisturizer is recommended for all skin types and is a lightweight gel that should cool, refresh and intensely hydrate your skin.

The gel formula soaks into your skin easily and the cooling effect leaves your skin feeling quenched and revitalized.  

There are calming ingredients in the formula like oat kernel extract and calendula that work to smooth your skin and eliminate pores. 

According to Belif, you can use this moisturizer as a primer before your apply your makeup or overnight moisturizing mask and can be used morning and night. 

If this lightweight formula seems to light for you, Belif has also created a thicker formula of this product to offer a deeper hydration level for times when your skin is feeling extra dry called The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb.

Lathering this product on your skin to finish off your skin care routine feels as refreshing as splashing water on your face after a long day. This is thanks to the plantain ingredient that nourishes and fights breakouts leading to smooth skin and the ceramide ingredient that keeps skin looking supple. 

The harsh winter weather will always be there to throw off your skin’s moisture, but these five products combined are a sure way to kick your dry skin problems to the snow-covered curb.