5 Fall Fashion Trends made Affordable

Art by Allie DeVaelminck

Suit Jackets

According to Vogue, suit jackets have been on the come up in womenswear for several years. This fall would be the perfect time to jump in on the trend. 

Suit jackets don’t have to be formal. Many street style looks from New York Fashion Week showed women styling suit jackets in a casual way. 

Refinery29 says, “boxy, masculine suiting is queen on the concrete 

runways this season, but it’s decidedly not of the boardroom variety.”

This fall season suit jackets are being seen in all different shapes, sizes and colors. 

According to Refinery29, suit jackets were one of the most popular street style trends during fashion week and were seen bright pink colors, plaid patterns and even oversized. 

“I think suit jackets are an awesome look if you can find the right fit,” Isabella Kuzma, a senior VCD major, said. “I think that you can dress them up to be really edgy and I’ve seen a lot of people wearing them with leather which looks amazing.” 

Suit jackets are a great layering piece and easy to throw on to help fight the chilly fall weather while also staying on trend. 

These jackets can average around $200 on websites like Revolve, but sites like PrettyLittleThing has similar items for around $55. 

Statement Sleeves

Statement sleeves are a great way to remain fashionable without jumping too far out of your comfort zone. 

According to The Trend Spotter, “this season, it’s all about statement sleeves.” 

“My favorite fall trend would be the statement sleeves because I feel like you can just put on some jeans and that’s your whole outfit,” Logan Sommerfeld, a senior fashion merchandising major, said. “You don’t have to add a bunch of accessories because the top is basically the look.”

This particular statement sleeve is called a bell sleeve. It expands outward and cinches at the wrist to give an inflated effect.  

There is a wide variety of different statement sleeves out there like butterfly sleeves, ruffled sleeves, off the shoulder sleeves, puff sleeves and more.

According to Glamour, statement sleeves are a great way to spice up any blouse by, “adding embellishments to the sleeves like ruffles and contrasting fabric, or playing with their shape by adding volume, cut-outs, or extra length.” 

Forever 21 is a great place to look for different types of statements sleeves for a low price. A top similar to the one pictured can be found here.

Maxi Coat

According to Vogue UK, “this season’s outerwear instructions are seriously exciting: switch between XXL styles, cut with exaggerated shoulders and pools of wool to hunker beneath.” 

Maxi coats are just longer coats that extend to the ankle or mid-calf. 

“I just bought a maxi coat because it’s trendy and I wanted to try styling it with a hoodie,” Sommerfeld said. 

Refinery29 mentioned during this year’s New York Fashion Week, “coats are shaping up to be real winners of street style.” 

Maxi coats are also one of the most practical of the five trends because it does get cold during the fall, especially in Ohio, and these jackets will actually keep you warm while looking good. 

These coats are similar to suit jackets in the way that they are very easy to style up with some boots or dress them down for a more casual look. 

“I feel like anyone can pull off this style,” Kuzma said. “You can wear them just going to class or you can wear them going out. They are a good staple piece to have in your closet because you’ll be wearing them for years and they are perfect for the cold.”

Maxi coats can average about $130 on websites like Urban Outfitters but on sites like Missguided they average about $70. 

Cargo Pants

This fall you might want to consider putting away your favorite pair of jeans and picking up one of this season’s hottest trends. 

Cargo pants are an extremely popular trend at the moment and perfect for the fall weather. According to Vogue, this style of pants has been defining the off-duty style this fall.

“My favorite trend has been cargo pants because this trend has been going on for about a year or so,” Kuzma said. “I think that celebrities like Hailey Bieber and Bella Hadid are really pulling this look off and showing that you can either dress them up for a night out with heels and a bodysuit or with chunky sneakers and a sweatshirt on a casual day.” 

These utility style pants come in an assortment of different colors and many different price points that will work for anyone. 

Bershka is a personal favorite place to buy cargo pants because the website has such a wide variety of different colors, patterns and fitted pants that are on trend and only about $40. 

“I love cargo pants,” Sommerfeld said. “You don’t have to do a lot to style them because they accessorize themselves with the belts, pockets and zippers on the sides.”

Mini Bags

According to Harper’s Bazaar, “bags are continuing to shrink smaller and smaller,” and handbags this season are remarkably more fun and playful than years previous. 

“I would like to try wearing mini bags because they are such a carefree bag,” Kuzma said. “They look effortless but they’re also super sleek and elegant.”  

It’s obvious you can’t fit much into these bags, but they are a great way to avoid clutter in your purse and make sure you only take the necessities with you when you leave the house. 

According to Sommerfeld, these bags would never work for some people, “I think they’re cute but what can you fit in there? I couldn’t fit my wallet, keys, lip gloss and a snack for work in there and I’d probably lose it.” 

Because they can’t fit many items, mini bags are perfect for a fall night out on the town. You can throw your wallet and lipstick in the bag and you’re ready. 

The mini bag pictured above retails for $516 but these kinds of bags are easy to find at any popular fashion site. 

Fashion Nova has mini bags that start and $15 and max out at $50. They have a similar bag to the one pictured here for $30. 

All of these clothing pieces are simple and easy to style for the upcoming fall weather. Each piece is truly a staple that you will be wearing for more than just one season, but for years to come. 

The simple addition of just one of these pieces can completely transform your outfit and revamp your entire wardrobe.