Cardigan and Again and Again

Illustration by Camryn Calderwood

The evening air is whistling a colder tune. The leaves are turning a tender shade of yellow. Not green, but not yet orange. Apple cider has been tasting better in the past weeks. Maybe it’s just because I live in Northern Michigan, which is plagued with short summers, or maybe it really is fall now. And if Autumn truly has arrived, you know what that means… two beautiful, wardrobe-altering words… Sweater. Weather.

The changing of seasons is always exciting in the world of fashion. However, Autumn arriving [and bringing with it the perfect sweater weather] is especially thrilling considering that the cardigan trend is one of the biggest trends of 2020.

Don’t trust us? According to Instyle, the stylish cardigan fad is here to stay for the rest of 2020. In an article they stated, “…aside from this staple being big for spring, a handful popped up on the fall 2020 runways, proving the trend will be sticking around for a few more months… Yes, cardigans can still be elegant and modest, but in 2020, they can be sexy, too.”

Cardigans can be both sweet and sexy? Yes, please! If you’re like me, you’ve found a way to incorporate cardigans into your summer wardrobe because they’re so cute. If you’re truly like me, this resulted in many sweaty underarms [thank heavens for a dependable deodorant]. So now that it is actually the season to rock all of your adorable sweaters, we’re going to clue you in on our top five favorite ways to style cardigans for the fall season ahead.

1. Throw your favorite cardigan over a slip dress

This is the perfect transition outfit. Let’s be honest, none of us really want to put away that slip dress for the year yet. By pairing a summer-centric piece like a slip dress with a cardigan, you can seamlessly transition into autumn. The knit sweater on top of the form-fitting, silky slip dress will create the perfect contrasting textures and silhouettes! Trust us, this look is a must-try!

Illustration by Camryn Calderwood
  1. Pair a cropped cardigan with mom jeans

That’s right, the mom jean movement is not leaving anytime soon! For an ultra-cool look that is both sweet and sassy, try styling a cropped cardigan with this high-waisted denim. The crop of the sweater paired with the high-waist look of mom jeans will accentuate your waist and beautiful curves. SO flattering! Not to mention, this look is the perfect throwback to the 90s [especially if the mom jeans are a vintage find]. You’ll be fresh out of an episode of “Friends” in this cute combo!

Illustration by Camryn Calderwood
  1. Rock an oversized cardigan with a faux leather pencil skirt

Do you want to be warm and cozy, yet still let everyone know that you mean business? You will look like an absolute BOSS in this pairing. The soft nature of the cardigan is the perfect piece to contrast the harder look of the faux leather skirt. Together, they will create a silhouette similar to the cardigan/slip dress combo. Want to make your cardigan and leather look even more edgy? Try dropping one of the shoulders on your cardigan! Again, you can’t go wrong with this pairing. 

Illustration by Camryn Calderwood
  1. Try a faux fur collared cardigan 

If you enjoy taking fashion risks, this trend is for you! For extra flair with the cardigan trend, find one with a faux fur collar and cuffs. The soft textures of the knit and fur go together seamlessly. We especially love seeing this trend in a pastel color palette, which further visually softens the look. If you’re feeling daring in the fashion department, the fur collar is the perfect cardigan trend for you. 

1. Don’t shy away from matching cardigan and skirt sets

The knit trend isn’t limited to cardigans only. Try pairing a cardigan with a matching knit skirt. This look will be cohesive and cute. Not to mention, matching sets make styling your outfit in the morning SO easy [it’s already paired for you!]. Monochromatic outfits have become more and more popular throughout the past few years and a matching cardigan and skirt set is the perfect way to rock the “matching colors” look! 

Illustration by Camryn Calderwood

So there you have it. Cardigans are NOT just for old men reading in their recliners. They’re versatile, warm, and oh-so-cute! You can dress them up for an elevated look or just wear them to be cozy and casual. Try these cardigan styling tips this Autumn and let us know which one you liked the most! 

Hi, I’m Maria McGinnis, a senior journalism student from Stow, Ohio. I’m also the editor in chief of A Magazine. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty, and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.