Fall festivities in Kent

Illustration is by Livia Kirasic,

Fall is officially in full swing and what better way to enjoy it than with some fun activities? There’s so much to do around Kent while still following safe rules and regulations and staying on a college budget! Here are a few activities to partake in this month: 

Pick pumpkins 

Everyone’s favorite fall activity seems to be going to the pumpkin patch! There are a few options around Kent but Szalay’s is a personal favorite. It’s about 30 minutes from Kent and they have dozens of pumpkins and gourds to choose from. 

They also have several cute displays, fresh cider and even hay ride options. Parking is also free, which is a major plus for students on a budget!

Make a spooky basket 

If you’re looking for a fun activity to do with your roommates, make spooky baskets for each other! The dollar store has tons of cute knick knacks this time of year. Add holiday socks, their favorite candy and a few decor pieces. 

Not only are these easy to make, but it’s a fun affordable way to show your appreciation for your bestie! They’ll be extra appreciative during midterm week too. 

Visit an orchard  

There’s no better way to enjoy fall in Ohio than by getting outside. Beckwith Orchards is a fan favorite for all things fall and it’s just under a 15 minute drive from campus. 

Whether you’re wanting to go for a hike, pick apples, snack on some pie, or take cute photos with pumpkins they’ve got it all. It’s also an awesome way to still participate in fall’s festivities while social distancing! 

Go apple picking 

Covid has reminded so many of us just how fun the outdoors can be. Who doesn’t love apple picking? It’s the perfect activity, especially this year as people are trying to maintain distance from others. Several local farms are available for apple picking right now. Grab your friends and snap some cute photos while you’re at it!

Have a movie night 

Nothing screams Halloween quite like a Disney movie marathon. Curl up with your roommates and enjoy a night in watching all the classics: Twitches, Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown! Pop some popcorn and throw a few M&Ms into the bowl for a sweet, festive treat. 

Test fall flavors 

With fall comes all kinds of sweet treats. So many restaurants release speciality items for the fall. Starbucks has all kinds of fall drinks that people are raving over, Dunkin started selling their infamous apple cider donut holes, and everyone’s favorite local ice cream spot, Handel’s, in Stow released tons of fall flavors. The pumpkin cheesecake is to die for!  

To-go orders are available at all locations mentioned so you can safely snack. 

Fall photoshoot

Having fun doesn’t have to cost anything! If all else fails, have a fall photoshoot. If you don’t have a camera, no need to worry — your phone will work just fine! Get dressed up in a trendy outfit and head downtown with your friends. There are tons of cute walls to snap photos in front of. My personal favorite is right outside of Scribbles coffee shop. 

What other fall activities will you be participating in this season? Let us know and share your seasonal ideas with us!

Hi, I’m Maria McGinnis, a senior journalism student from Stow, Ohio. I’m also the editor in chief of A Magazine. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty, and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.