things to do around kent

Illustration by Abby Coe

With the changing of seasons upon us, new fashion, new foods and new ways to celebrate are brewing. While at college, and many are away from their hometowns, it can be a little harder to find activities around the area. However, near Kent, there are a ton of things you can do to get in the fall spirit. 

Rufener Farms

This is a farm down in Mogadore. Rufener is only around 15-20 minutes away from campus and it’s a hidden gem. They have a few pumpkin patches, which are great for taking all those cute fall photos. They also have a corn maze that is redone every year in a new, fun theme. You can even grab some hot (or cold) apple cider to drink while doing it all. 

Kuner’s Orchard

This one’s a little bit more of a hike, it takes around 30 minutes to get there, but in my opinion it’s absolutely worth it. I have gone almost every year since I was 16 to pick apples with my friends or family. It is always one of my favorite things I do in the fall. You get to walk through the orchard and pick your own apples. The best part? They charge by the pound. I always use the apples for some sort of baked treat, but you can eat them just as they are too. Kuner’s Orchard also offers a diverse range of apples throughout the different parts of the orchard. You can find an apple variety that will satisfy every taste. 

Find Fall Fashion

I’ll be honest, I love oversized shorts and tube tops just as much as the next person, but fall fashion is one of my favorites. Getting new clothes is always exciting and it makes my day when I have a cute outfit to wear. You don’t always have to break the bank though if you want to transform your closet to colder weather. There are a ton of thrift stores around Kent like Einstein’s Attic or Goodwill, and there’s more in surrounding towns like Cuyahoga Falls or Akron. Go try to find some cute, (sustainable) fall staples for a good price. Plus it’s a great way to hangout with your friends!

Bake all the Pumpkin Spice things

It’s no lie that pumpkin spice really does take over the market during this season and if you’re a pumpkin fan like me, you need to start trying some new online recipes. Never underestimate Pinterest recipes or even the ones on Tik Tok. Most of the time they all work out and you never know where you’ll find a new staple recipe. I love baking, so different recipes for pumpkin cookies, scones or even cake pops are right up my alley. However, if you’re not the best at baking, you can still hit up your local grocery store and buy some fall goodies. 

Make Spooky Baskets for your friends

I know it’s still early in the season, but it’s never too early to think about spooky season. I love giving gifts and putting together Halloween themed baskets is one of my favorite things to do. This year, I’ve been shopping at Target, Walmart, Five Below and Dollar Tree to find some cute things for a spooky basket for my boyfriend! We set a budget and are making ones for each other! Find some friends and get a spooky basket exchange going for this fall season. 

Binge Watch Halloween Movies

While I may have started watching Halloween movies around Sept. 1, I’m always down to rewatch them over and over again. I have a whole list of movies and TV shows that I want to watch before the season’s over. Some of my favorites are “Halloweentown,” “Goosebumps” and the occasional horror film. There are so many, and as we get closer to Halloween, many streaming services put them all in their own tab so that it’s easy to find all your favorites. My biggest suggestion is making your list and setting aside a day for binge-watching the essentials when it starts getting a little colder!

These are just a few of my favorite things to do around Kent during the fall season. Try out some of these autumn favorites. 

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA

Hi, I’m Grace Avery, a senior fashion merchandising student from Columbia, Maryland! I’m also the editor-in-chief of A Magazine. My staff and I are full of passion and aspiration as we commit our work to bring you the most meaningful and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty, and culture. Our team is full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow our community into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.