nine great films to inspire your summer wardrobe

photo: koolshooters from pexels

With summer coming up, everyone is already daydreaming about all the outfits they can finally bring out of hibernation from their closet. However, some of us are feeling stuck in a style rut. Pinterest and Instagram can be great places to search for style inspiration, but sometimes it all starts to look the same. Rediscovering personal style can be difficult, especially after wearing sweatpants and thick coats for the past few months. If you’re feeling uninspired, or like you have nothing in your closet, here is a list of nine films that will help give you some ideas of what to wear this summer. 

1.“Once Upon a Time in… Hollywood”

Like all Quentin Tarantino films, “Once Upon a Time in… Hollywood” has a carefully crafted conjunction of artistry and gore. Taking place in 1969 at the height of Woodstock and the “hippie” movement, the costume design is filled with just what you would expect: vibrant colors, funky patterns, knitwear and lots of denim. The star-studded cast all had incredible looks throughout the film, but a few of my favorites were worn by main characters Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) and Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt). Staples in Sharon Tate’s looks include mini skirts, matching sets and shin-high pleather boots. Cliff Booth was known for his effortless cool guy look. To create a wardrobe like his, all you need are sunglasses, dark-wash denim, casual T-shirts and a brown leather belt. 

2.“Dazed and Confused”

This film has some similarities to “Once Upon a Time in… Hollywood,” but it takes a less flashy approach to the ‘70s style and keeps it casual. The story is centered around a bunch of teenagers celebrating their last day of school. Rather than the late ‘60s “hippie” style, “Dazed and Confused” would be considered “stoner” fashion. Including loose fitting button downs, vests, overalls and graphic tees, the wardrobe is pretty laid back and realistic for everyday wear. 

3.“Mamma Mia!” 

If you want to dress like you ran away to Greece with your best friends, “Mamma Mia!” will give you the perfect style inspiration. The lighthearted musical keeps the costuming very natural and bright, perfect for the summer time. An upside to this particular aesthetic is that it is very comfortable and easy, and it is sure to keep you cool in the summer heat. Some essentials to achieve this look are midi and maxi skirts, linen pants, flowy dresses, cropped cami tops and billowy blouses. You can also have fun accessorizing with big sunglasses, head scarfs or Tonya’s signature wide-brimmed hat. Play around with tropical prints and bright colors to add your own personality.

4.“Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion”

If you are someone who likes to be the best dressed in every room, let Romy and Michele (Mira Sorvino; Lisa Kudrow) inspire your next ostentatious look. The late ‘90s film has an extremely colorful display of borderline over-the-top fashion, but that is what makes it so amazing. The term “neutral” is not in their vocabulary. They don’t leave the house without vibrant strappy heels and statement jewelry. They are also big fans of fur trim, busy patterns and metallic fabrics. One of their most unforgettable looks was their pink and blue mini dresses. For Romy and Michele, it is always go big or go home. If you are looking to take more risks with your personal style, I guarantee you will resonate with at least one of their incredible looks. 

5.“Bring It On”

Released in the year 2000, “Bring It On” is perfect for your Y2K fashion inspiration. 2000s fashion trends have been coming back in a big way. The sporty looks in “Bring It On” are very pragmatic, ideal for those who like looking good while also feeling comfortable. The most currently on-trend looks from the movie were worn by the Clovers at the basketball game. Their outfits consist of typical early 2000s fashion like cardigans, cropped sweatshirts, camo pants and high waisted jeans. Other currently trendy items throughout the film were biker shorts, tube tops, tie dye and denim mini skirts. 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by @90s00sperks

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by 2000stalgia (@2000stalgia)

6.“Spice World”

The Spice Girls are not only known for their insanely catchy music, but they are also famous for each having their own identity: Sporty Spice, Posh Spice, Ginger Spice, Scary Spice and Baby Spice. Their individualistic styles make this a great film for those who may not fit into one aesthetic. The Spice Girls were considered quite the trendsetters of their time, many of which are resurfacing now. Some of Sporty Spice’s looks bear many similarities to Bella Hadid’s street style: track pants, monochrome sets and chunky sneakers. A personal favorite look from the movie is Scary Spice’s colorful matching bra top and wide leg pants. Whether it be Ginger Spice’s platform boots, Baby Spice’s signature pastel or Posh Spice’s glamorous mini dresses, there is a little something for everyone to draw inspiration from.

7.“Desperado”

As always, Salma Hayek stuns as Carolina in “Desperado.” Taking place in Mexico City, Carolina’s wardrobe is fit to take on heat. Most of her looks consist of low-waisted flowy skirts and cropped tanks or short sleeved tops. If you’re a minimalist and a fan of neutrals, there may be a few looks from this film to add to your own reservoir. She does have an arguably simple style, making it easy to recreate with what you already have in your closet. Given their simplicity, the looks can be pretty timeless, or styled in a trendier way. Natalya Lobanova agreed in a BuzzFeed article that “Everything in this film could be worn by an Instagram influencer now.”

8.“Ocean’s 8”

Sarah Edwards, costume designer for “Ocean’s 8”, had no easy feat creating looks for eight main characters with significantly differing personalities. With so many characters with unique styles, similar to “Spice World”, this movie could be a great way to expose yourself to different aesthetics. Debbie Ocean (Sandra Bullock) is typically seen in understated, classy attire. Her friend Lou (Cate Blanchett), on the other hand, is a bit edgier and outspoken. Rose (Helena Bonham Carter), the fashion designer of the group, fronts a more eccentric look with hair accessories and boxy jackets. Nine Ball’s (Rihanna) style approach seems to take inspiration from hippie and nineties trends with chokers, headbands and band tees. The rest of the crew each offer their own fashion quirks and tendencies that could be exactly what you are looking for. 

9.“Black is King”

I think we can all agree that almost everything Beyoncé has created is iconic, and her 2020 film is no exception. Costume designer Zerina Akers did not hold back for this production. The New Yorker regarded it as “impeccably styled”, and they could not be more right. Animal prints and hydes, stunning silhouettes creates a harmony of elegance and sexyness, a trademark of Beyoncé’s. The fashion seen in “Black is King” isn’t necessarily applicable to practical everyday style, but it is a reminder of how beautiful and expressive personal style is meant to be.

Hi, I’m Grace Avery, the Editor In Chief of A Magazine. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.