emma chamberlain: the real meaning of influence

art: jordan seiple

Emma Chamberlain, without a doubt, is one of the most influential people in the world of internet influencers. Chamberlain has gone from making YouTube vlogs and expressing her style on the internet to attending some of the most prestigious fashion events in the world. At 21 years old and within five years, how has Chamberlain continuously proven her place in the world of fashion as an influencer? 

An influencer is a person who inspires or guides the actions of others. Developing a career as an influencer has become one of the most common paths for social media users, and it is a title that anybody can use. While many try to fit into the mold of an Instagram influencer, Chamberlain continues to stay true to who she is, which has become the main factor in her success. Since the beginning of her career, she has been committed to making young people feel comfortable in who they are, what they do and what they wear. In 2020 she told In The Know, “It just didn’t feel like there was enough intimacy on the internet, and I wanted that. I’m just gonna be me, whether that’s cute or not, I’m gonna be that.”

In 2017, Chamberlain started posting vlogs about her life on YouTube. Her brand was authenticity. She created quirky and unique videos that caught the attention of Gen Z social media users. She stood out on social media because her relatable content allowed her fans to feel connected to her on a deeper level. She posted thrifting hauls with tips and utilized Instagram to share her style aesthetic through photos. In a 2020 episode of her podcast “Anything Goes,” Chamberlain discussed her early experiences with fashion. She reached a point in high school where she felt disconnected, inspiring her to get into fashion and discover her style. Thrifting and YouTube were two ways Chamberlain became exposed to different areas of fashion. She started researching fashion and took note of it anywhere she could to find an aesthetic unique to her.

Chamberlain initially started receiving recognition on the internet a few months after starting her Youtube channel, and her popularity only went up from there. In 2019 Chamberlain was on Time Magazine’s “100 Next 2019” list, which meant she was one of the most popular rising stars. She started gaining more attention for her fashion sense and became a Louis Vuitton ambassador in 2019, which led her to attend events such as her first Paris fashion week. Chamberlain was on her first American magazine cover of Cosmopolitan in early 2020.

By the end of 2020, she had created her “Anything Goes” podcast and her own coffee company, Chamberlain Coffee. Forward to 2021, and Chamberlain gained even more of an influence on fashion. She started receiving more partnerships with brands such as Pacsun and Levi’s. Her most notable accomplishment from 2021 is her first time attending the Met Gala, where she was an interviewer for Vogue. 

Current-day Emma Chamberlain has transformed into a fashion icon, and her place in fashion won’t be going away anytime soon. Now nearing 11.8 million YouTube subscribers and nearly 16 million Instagram followers, it is clear that the high fashion muse is becoming a household name. This year has already been an exciting one for Chamberlain, with opportunities such as being on the covers of  Harper’s Bazaar Singapore and  Vogue Australia. She also attended her second Met Gala representing Louis Vuitton and the Venice Film Festival representing Cartier jewelry as a brand ambassador. It is inspirational to see how much of an impact one person can have on a generation. She has done it not only through her playful and continuously evolving style, but her authenticity as well. 

Hi, I’m Catie Pusateri, the Editor-in-Chief of A Magazine. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we receive support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.