celebrity beauty brands are taking over the beauty industry

illustration: lillie leasure

The relationship between celebrity culture and beauty has always been a close one. In recent years, there’s been a boom in the production of celebrity beauty brands, most commonly ranging from makeup to skincare. An industry where celebrities once endorsed products in campaigns, interviews and on red carpets has now evolved into these esteemed societal figures competing with the top beauty companies they once endorsed. 

Being the face of popular beauty brands that already dominate the market is no longer enough as celebrities use their influence to become players in the industry by branching off with their own visions of a beauty brand. 

The fantasy of using products similar to those praised in our society for their seemingly flawless features makes celebrity beauty products an easy sell. With the constant production, it is a challenge to know if these celebrities are authentic or if they are looking for an easy cash grab. It can also leave consumers with biased views based on their feelings toward the celebrities who create their own brands. With the growing criticism towards celebrities breaking into the beauty industry as entrepreneurs, only the future will tell what brands will become staples and what will come and go.

Two successful celebrity beauty brands established years before the new wave of celebrity beauty brands are the skincare brand Meaningful Beauty by Cindy Crawford and Drew Barrymore’s makeup brand Flower Beauty. 

A shift in celebrity beauty brands and their potential occurred in 2017 when Rihanna’s brand Fenty Beauty transformed the industry with her inclusive foundation shades. Rihanna had an authentic approach to her brand from the start by introducing 40 shades of foundation that have now extended to 50 shades. According to Rihanna, “Fenty Beauty by Rihanna was created for everyone: for women of all shades, personalities, attitudes, cultures, and races. I wanted everyone to feel included. That’s the real reason I made this line.”

Since then, we have seen an explosion of celebrity beauty brands. This year alone, there have been several launches from celebrities that have gained attention for their products. Some of these new brands include Hailey Bieber’s Rhode Skin, Jared Leto’s Twentynine, Brad Pitt’s Le Domaine and Kim Kardashian’s SKNN.  

Though these brands can receive recognition simply because of their celebrity ties, we have seen how much of an impact a celebrity’s interaction with their own brand and their audiences can have on their success. Rare Beauty, for example, was launched by Selena Gomez in 2020 and has already made its way deep into the hearts of consumers. Gomez and her brand actively engage with consumers on social media through mental health content and discussions which creates a sense of community. Beyond the conversation of mental health, the brand is taking actionable change through the Rare Impact Fund.  As mentioned in an article by Well and Good writer Zoe Weiner, “While the world may not need another celebrity nail polish brand or a line of influencer-branded lipsticks, it does need people who know just how much weight their voice can carry.”

Celebrity beauty brands have the potential to leave a positive or negative impact, and it is ultimately in their control when it comes down to how the world will perceive it and what it can do to benefit people’s lives.

Hi! I’m Catie Pusateri, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.