‘90s, ‘00s trends are here to stay in 2023

photo%3A+maddie+shivas+%2F%2F+models%3A+maddie+shivas%2C+sam+parks+and+natalie+storie+

photo: maddie shivas // models: maddie shivas, sam parks and natalie storie

Fashion of the ‘90s and early 2000s fashion have some of the most significant influences on today’s trends. Heavily influenced by Gen X icons, favored pieces like shin-length slip dresses and oversized jeans continue to dominate the trend cycle. 

The Micro Miniskirt 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Miu Miu Set (@miumiuset)

It was stars like Paris Hilton and Britney Spears who gave micro miniskirts a boost in the early 2000s, largely because they styled them with midriff-baring tops. This tantalizing combination inevitably caught the masses’ attention and continues to resurface. Miu Miu came out with a collection that reintroduced them again. The collection featured models wearing cropped button-downs paired with mini skirts and belts (not much wider than the skirts themselves). Since then, this trend has been on the rise. It would be easier to name celebrities that haven’t been seen in a micro-mini at this point. A chic and youthful way to embrace this trend is to pair your micro-mini with tall boots and a large blazer. 

Corset Tops

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by cielle (@cielleclothing)

Corsets made an effortless transition from “Moulin Rouge”’s stage to Hollywood’s red carpet with the help of the ‘90s sibling duo Gianni and Donatella Versace and they’ve been adored ever since. High fashion designers like Christian Dior and Bottega Veneta featured corset tops in recent fashion week collections. These tops are versatile, making them easy to dress up with a mini skirt or down with a pair of baggy jeans. Whether it’s on the red carpet, the runway or your Instagram feed, corset styles will be everywhere this year. 

Baggy Jeans 

Considerably the most popular ‘90s and ‘00s trend, baggy jeans are a staple in all of our wardrobes and this won’t be changing anytime soon. These jeans originally gained popularity in the early ‘90s when hip-hop was in its prime. According to OneBlockDown, the release of MC Hammer’s “Can’t Touch This” was a revolution not only for the hip-hop industry but also for the fashion industry. He introduced this iconic baggy style that left a trail of inspiration to several hip-hop icons today, such as Harlem’s own rapper ASAP Rocky or Houston MC Travis Scott. 

Slip Dresses

There was nothing more feminine in every ’90s girl’s closet than a delicate slip dress. Hailey Bieber and Emily Ratajkowski are among those who adore this styling, which is often paired with layered choker necklaces, another homage to the ’90s. These slip dresses are timeless pieces that will always be trendy due to their comfort and delicacy.  

Gen Z and Millennials continue to embrace nostalgia for the early 2000s. This experimental fashion decade has become far more influential than anyone could have predicted, leaving a print for future generations to follow. 

Hi! I’m Catie Pusateri, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.