Summer Staples Turned Fall Favorites

If the gray skies and the dreary days haven’t given it away, fall in Northeast Ohio is upon us. The transition period from summer to fall was brief– actually, non-existent. It seems we went from sunny, 75 degree days, to gloomy and 50 overnight. This swift change gave us very little time to prep our fall closets and grieve the loss of our summer staples. Fret not, though. We, at A Magazine, have chosen the hottest summer trends and transitioned them into your favorite fall pieces, so you don’t have to give them up quite yet.

One of the summer’s biggest trends was an ode to the 90s, but let’s be honest: what summer trend wasn’t an ode to the 90s? This trend, in particular, was made popular by Kendall Jenner and quickly became a fad. The trend we are talking about is wearing a slip dress over a white t-shirt. This look was seen on everyone from the KJ herself, to your favorite street style bloggers. Luckily, you don’t have to completely abandon this awesome look yet. Instead, opt for a white cotton, turtleneck, or a heather gray one from Forever21, that we paired with a slip dress from Free People. Keep this fall look going by adding your favorite, suede boots.

Another trend we just can’t seem to get enough of is anything and everything sheer. Sheer fabrics have made their appearance everywhere, from the red carpet to the hottest music festivals, and it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. The best aspect of sheer is its versatility; you can make it a statement daytime piece, or use it to add a little spice to your nighttime attire. For this trend, we chose a sheer open-back Free People blouse and paired it with cropped, Urban Outfitters denim (BTW, cropped denim is huge this fall). To accessorize this look, we added a choker, thank you again 90’s, and a double buckle belt. And don’t worry about breaking your budget, the belt shown above can be found on Asos.com for under $50.00!

Aside from all of these 90’s trends, a staple that always seems to work year round is floral patterns. Floral patterns plaster the runways every season and continue to stay modern. We pulled a sleeveless ruffle, drop hem, floral dress from Forever21. This floral is deeper and richer than most summer florals, making it perfect for fall. We then paired a white oxford underneath suede, tall boots. The final touch to this look is a skinny, bolo neck tie.

Another trend we would love to see carried into the fall is the white-on-white trend. So, although we aren’t quite sure who decided white couldn’t be worn after Labor Day, we do know whoever it was clearly had never fallen in love with the plethora of white-on-white outfits worn by our favorite style gurus. White-on-white has become a staple this summer, and here at A Magazine, we think it’s too soon to see it go. Instead, let’s break the rules and continue to rock white-on-white all year long. As an update to the classic white-on-white trend for fall, try incorporating shades of cream, ivory, or off-white; these shades are warmer, thus making them fall appropriate. For a little inspiration, we paired cream, lace shorts from Urban Outfitters with a cozy, off-the-shoulder Free People sweater. This look is finished with a bandana choker and tall, suede boots. This outfit not only incorporates white-on-white, but it transitions some other hot trends of the moment like the bandana choker and anything off the shoulder!

The last summer trend we chose might come as a shock to some, because, trust us, we realize you thought the last denim skirt you were going to buy was in 2004 from Abercrombie. Alas, denim skirts are here and are going to stay… for now. The denim mini became the new cut-offs this summer with its laid-back, easy feel that seemed to pair a little too perfectly with everything you own. We paired a denim mini with what we hope to be another huge fall trend, fishnets. Fishnets get a bad rep, but have recently been seen on Carine Roitfeld, the ex-editor-in-chief of Vogue Paris, so yeah, they are a MUST. We kept the rest of this look simple with a mock turtleneck and leather jacket. This is the perfect outfit for those fall days when you need to kick some a$$.

Hopefully, these looks help you smoothly transition from summer to fall without having to sacrifice your favorite pieces!