sabato de sarno announced as new creative director of gucci

photo by pauline figuet on unsplash

On Saturday, Jan. 28 the iconic Italian fashion house and luxury brand Gucci announced that Sabato De Sarno will be its next creative director. This announcement has been long awaited since the abrupt departure of previous creative director, Alessandro Michele, in November 2022. 

The French luxury group Kering is well known for hiring designers that are largely unknown to the majority of consumers. This makes it possible for younger talents to show their worth and move up in the industry, as well as offering new perspectives to these major fashion houses that have been around for almost a century or more. 

Sabato De Sarno is not new to the world of luxury fashion. Up until this announcement, De Sarno worked for Valentino as the fashion director of men’s and womenswear ready-to-wear. Even before joining Valentino in 2009, he worked for Prada and then Dolce & Gabbana between 2005 and 2009. His rich involvement with Italian fashion houses under Kering, as well as being a native Italian himself, make him the ideal candidate for this position. 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by @gucci

With this choice, it appears that Gucci is leaning towards creating a more timeless look, as President and CEO of Gucci Marco Bizzarri is quoted on the brand’s Instagram announcement saying, “I am certain that through Sabato’s deep understanding and appreciation for Gucci’s unique legacy, he will lead our creative teams with a distinctive vision that will help write this exciting next chapter, reinforcing the House’s fashion authority while capitalizing on its rich heritage.” 

Before officially moving to this new role with Gucci, De Sarno will complete all remaining obligations in his position with Prada. According to both Gucci and Kering’s announcements, De Sarno will present his debut runway in September 2023 during Milan Women’s Fashion Week

Hi! I’m Catie Pusateri, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.