upcoming swimsuit trends

Illustration is by Paige Brown,

Well, it’s that time of year again. The weather is getting warmer and thoughts of spring break are splashing in and out of students’ minds. Having kissed their winter coats goodbye, fashionistas everywhere are looking forward to trading in their snow boots for swimsuits. 

Even in the midst of a global pandemic, swimwear will remain a spring break necessity as millions of people across the globe come out of quarantine to catch some much-needed rays. 

No matter how you plan on spending your break, whether that be on a secluded beach or a lounge chair at home, we’ve got you covered with all the upcoming swimwear trends you should be rocking this holiday.

Futuristic Finds

The global pandemic has caused society to become more reliant on technology than ever, and it looks like this trend will not go away any time soon. Because of this, upcoming swimwear lines will be highly influenced by the internet and robotics. Drawing from the metals that encase all of our devices, metallics will become a huge trend to watch out for. Cool and sleek, metallic tones are perfect for the poolside because they have eye-catching appeal and elevate simple swimwear silhouettes. 

After spending so much time at home, otherworldly, metallic suits will transport wearers to new places and encourage a futuristic mindset. Who knows? You might just find yourself living out your sci-fi fantasy dreams while basking in the sun.

For inspo:

Check out this pink metallic bikini from Superdown, this stellar two-piece set from Rose Swimsuits or this sparkly silver one-piece from Revolve. 

(Terry)ific Textiles

There’s something undeniably comforting about wrapping yourself up in a warm towel after going for a cool dip. Soft to the touch and quick-drying, toweled fabrics have always been a staple at the beach, but this season, after being deprived of touch for so long, toweled and terry fabrics will emerge poolside in more ways than one. 

These comfortable, lightweight textiles are an easy alternative to stereotypical nylon or neoprene swimwear. Seamlessly combining the cozy aesthetic that has dominated our lives all throughout quarantine with the uplifting spirit of spring, toweled fabrics are a fun, nostalgic twist to holiday wear that you won’t be able to keep your hands off of. 

For inspo: 

Check out this toweled bikini top and one-piece from Pretty Little Thing. Also, this terry one-piece from Lisa Marie Fernandez is notably nautical. To accessorize, check out this matching toweled bucket hat and top from Lucy Folk or this tote bag from Maison Sarah Lavoine x No More Plastic. 

Sustainable Swimmies

This season, try incorporating more recycled textiles and eco-friendly fibers into your swimwear selection. Look out for styles that use ECONYL regenerated nylon, REPREVE, a performance fiber made from recycled plastic bottles, or Amni Soul Eco® Thread, which is the world’s first recyclable and biodegradable polyamide yarn, according to Made Trade Magazine

These materials help to reduce demand for synthetic fibers, which contaminate waterways and pollute areas near factory sites. That’s why finding yourself a suit that makes you look as good as it makes the Earth feel is incredibly important. Together, we can reverse the fashion industry’s notorious negative impact on the environment.

I mean, being kind to the Earth is always in style…need I say more?

For inspo: 

Check out the sustainable and vegan swimwear from Sensi Graves, a women-run and-owned company that produces in the USA. Or, shop Saturday Swimwear’s collection of sustainable pieces designed and hand-sewn by Emily Laplume, the owner of the label. Additionally, check out BOLD Swim, a sustainable, vegan, POC-owned AND women-owned swimwear company that is helping to reduce the fashion industry’s effect on the environment, one suit at a time!

Multi-Way

Without as many places to go, investing in one swimsuit that can be easily manipulated to look like a completely different suit is ideal for those who want to get the most bang for their buck. Especially if you’re hoping to post lots of bikini pics on your feed and not look like a total outfit repeater. Luckily, multi-way suits that can be worn in different styles are totally on-trend and are a great way to expand your holiday wear horizons. 

For inspo:

Check out this bikini top from Brazillian Bikini Swimsuits with extra-long straps that are easy to style in many ways. Or, check out this multi-way one-piece and bikini top from ASOS. Want to rethink the way you wear your bikini? Check out this helpful video.

Belted Swimwear 

Perfect for bodies of all shapes and sizes, belted bathing suits are more dynamic than your typical suit because they help to create the illusion of an hourglass figure. Great for those who want to accentuate their waist or cinch in their quarantine fifteen, belted suits hold the body tightly and satisfy the sense of security we’ve all been searching for throughout the unsettling events COVID-19 has caused. 

For inspo: 

Try belts with buckles for a nostalgic take on swimwear, such as this retro one-piece from WeWoreWhat or this belted bottom from Boden. Want a more elevated look? Check out these chain belts to add a bit of sophistication to the swimwear you already own. 

While it may be a while until we all can be back-to-back on an exotic beach for spring break, one thing hasn’t changed — the sun will come out tomorrow. Wherever you go, make sure you’re dressed to impress — and don’t forget the sunblock!

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA

Hi, I’m Maria McGinnis, a senior journalism student from Stow, Ohio. I’m also the editor-in-chief of A Magazine. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty, and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.