Shifting Aesthetic

Photographer%3A+Felicity+DickenStylists%3A+Emma+Foos+and+Ty+NayaModels%3A+Fadhila+Fofana+and+Natalie+Phillips+
Photographer: Felicity Dicken
Stylists: Emma Foos and Ty’ Naya
Models: Fadhila Fofana and Natalie Phillips

Beyoncé is a name known around the world. She has more Grammy wins than any other musician, winning 32 awards, and she has just released a new album titled “Cowboy Carter.” This latest album represents a significant shift in tone and overall aesthetic compared to her previous album, “Renaissance.” “Cowboy Carter” pays tribute to some of the world’s greatest musicians and takes listeners on an enchanting journey, incorporating elements from some of the most recognizable songs. Although the new album embraces country music rather than her more familiar pop, R&B and dance roots, Beyoncé solidified her bond with her die-hard fans while also attracting many new ones.

• Photographer: Felicity Dicken
    Stylists: Emma Foos and Ty’ Naya

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Beyoncé (@beyonce)

The theme of “Renaissance” is very futuristic, with robots, holographic and metallic colors, glamor and insane visuals dominating the look and sound of the album. Dressing on theme was a major aspect of the “Renaissance” tour. During the final leg of the tour, Beyoncé encouraged fans to wear silver to celebrate “Virgo season.” It became the highest-grossing tour by any female musician and the sixth-highest-grossing tour of all time partly due to its theatricality and exclusivity aspects. After watching her film, “Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé,” viewers realized just how special the tour was. Beyoncé made sure to utilize the stage crew and behind-the-scenes workers as part of the production and put them in the spotlight, which very few artists have accomplished before. The tour took four years to construct, and each aspect of the preparation can be seen in her film. One aspect that certainly pulled an emotional connection was showcasing her fans in the audience. The pure expressions from fans of all ages truly display the power Beyoncé holds.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Beyoncé (@beyonce)

“Cowboy Carter” takes a very different approach when it comes to aesthetics. As a Houston native, Beyoncé wanted to dive deeper into the roots of the music industry where she grew up. She incorporates different Western styles when promoting her newest album. Some recent looks include both her own very recognizable style with some cowboy charm. Leather is one of the key elements in the new era, through the numerous promotional looks. Beyoncé features Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson on the album, two key musicians in country music, whom she consistently said she looked up to. Parton was a very prominent style icon during the 70s, famous for being unapologetic for her fashion choices, something Beyoncé is also known for. Although her “Cowboy Carter” tour is sure to be dominated by country styles, she still makes sure to blend her unique style within it. It can be predicted that her next tour will be an homage to the genre and musicians within the world of country music. Themes of tassels, cowboy hats, boots, leather and denim will surely be present for both the fans and the artist herself.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Beyoncé (@beyonce)

Beyoncé has once again proven her versatility as an artist with her latest album, “Cowboy Carter.” The album showcases a significant shift in tone and aesthetic compared to her previous album, “Renaissance.” While her last album leaned more towards futuristic elements, “Cowboy Carter” pays homage to the genre of country music and incorporates Western-style elements into her promotional looks. The album has garnered much attention and praise, solidifying her bond with long-time fans while also attracting many new ones. It will be fascinating to see how Beyoncé integrates these new elements into her future tours, and how she continues to captivate audiences across different genres.

• Photographer: Felicity Dicken
    Stylists: Emma Foos and Ty’ Naya

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Beyoncé (@beyonce)

Hi! I’m Annie Gleydura, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.