the do’s and don’ts of italian style

photo: alexi romano on unsplash

It’s known throughout the world that Europe is home to several fashion capitals, and that in general Europeans have a more sophisticated style. That fact is definitely emphasized in Italy, where the rules of fashion are observed even when running meaningless errands. While style is personal and objective, keep reading if you want to learn how to dress like a true Italian.

Italian style is overall very sophisticated and chic, but still gives off an effortless air. Most people stick to neutrals and soft colors in order to achieve this vibe, and might throw in a pop of color with their makeup, shoes or accessories. Tailored pants, fitted shirts and a good pair of shoes are the essentials in everyday Italian life. Jeans should fit well at the waist and shouldn’t have holes or raw hems, and the phrase “less is more” comes into play a lot.

As far as some basic fashion pieces go, trench coats in the winter and spring are a staple, and a sure way of fitting in. Black loafer style shoes and boots can be seen on every street, as well as fitted blazers thrown over any outfit. Linen pants, shirts and dresses are a sure-fire way to keep you cool and comfortable, while creating that chic effortless look. Be warned however that since the winters in Italy do not even come close to the winters we experience in Ohio, many Italians will still be bundled up on a 50 degree day, so take style cues from them in order to not stick out like a sore thumb (and risk the potential of looking like a man in basketball shorts during a blizzard). 

When it comes to Italian style, there are a few things that are an absolute “don’t you dare leave the house in that” sort of thing. Flip flops, sweatpants and wet hair are some of the biggest no-no’s. Other items that are typically avoided are any sort of athletic wear, ripped or distressed clothing and extremely bright outfits, though there are exceptions to every rule. 

A great way to find Italian outfit inspiration is to look to Italian influencers. Chiara Ferragni is the most popular Italian social media influencer, and shows great authentic Italian fashion. Another way is to look around yourself when walking anywhere. By doing this, you can find out what the locals are wearing, and can find popular pieces that you should incorporate into your wardrobe. And remember the fashion rule every Italian follows: quality over quantity, and embrace your body. 

Hi, I’m Grace Avery, the Editor In Chief of A Magazine. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.