a mag’s guide to college life: fashion edit

art: grace carmen

In college, there are a lot of life adjustments. Especially for fashion students, college serves as time to prepare themselves for a highly competitive field filled with endless opportunities. Whether you’re a freshman still trying to find your footing, or a grad student finishing up your last few months, here are some tips to help make the most of your college experience. 

join clubs and organizations

One of the best ways to become involved with those in the fashion community during your college career is by joining clubs and organizations. Kent State offers a plethora of clubs you can join, even if you aren’t a fashion student. As the largest fashion organization on campus, Fashion Student Organization (FSO) is a club that is inclusive of all majors and a perfect place to explore your love for fashion. Offering numerous opportunities for members, you can be involved in fashion shows, meet guest speakers and even have an opportunity to go on a trip to New York City in the spring. 

Another great club recommendation is National Retail Federation Student Association (NRFSA). As a retail education organization, NRFSA offers networking, career development and service opportunities—all done to help prepare students for a career in retail 

Student organizations also give you the opportunity to network. Getting to know new students, connecting with your peers and building relationships will help you later when you begin your job search. 

save money with honey

If you love to shop online but don’t want to pay full price, Honey is a browser extension that helps you find savings, which is appreciated by many college students. Since there’s no cost to use Honey, you get the opportunity to save money whenever you shop on the web at any store that Honey is partnered with. With tens of thousands of stores to choose from, Honey works with some of the most popular online stores, including Sephora, Target and Amazon. When you browse an online store using the extension, a Honey icon will appear if any coupons or promo codes are available for that store. According to Financebuzz, “Honey has helped 17 million members save more than one billion dollars on their online purchases.”

participate in fashion shows 

Every year, Kent State holds a fashion show to support senior fashion design students. Whether you like to design, style, model or produce media, participating in fashion shows is a great way to connect with Kent State and the fashion school. On top of the Kent State Annual Fashion Show, most of the fashion organizations throw a student-run fashion show each semester that students of all majors are able to get involved with. These opportunities allow you to make friends who share similar passions as you. They also are a great addition to add to your resume. If you’ve ever been interested in participating in a fashion show, then college serves as the perfect time to try it—it truly is a unique experience. 

support local thrift shops 

Sustainability and thrifting have become increasingly popular over the years. It is a great way to find one-of-a-kind pieces and reduce fashion waste by purchasing second-hand. The Kent area has a lot of cool places to shop. One of my favorites is Einstein’s Attic on Main Street. They always have a large selection of quality vintage clothing and accessories. In the Cuyahoga Falls area, there is the Village Discount Outlet, which has deemed itself as “Ohio’s best thrift store” As one of the biggest thrift stores in the state, they sell everything from vintage clothing to funky furniture along with having additional daily discounts. If you’re looking for local places to thrift, then these thrift shops are definitely worth checking out. 

become a campus ambassador

If you have any passion for content creation, becoming a campus ambassador for a brand is a lot more attainable than you would think. Princess Polly, a major online retailer, is constantly looking for college students to represent its brand. You don’t need tens of thousands of followers, just a consistent social media presence. You can scroll to the bottom of the Princess Polly website and click “college ambassador.” From there, you can fill out an application. If approved, you will receive free clothing and earn commissions through affiliation. This is a great way to earn extra money and represent one of the biggest online retailers in the industry. Beyond Princess Polly, other campus ambassador programs include Amazon Prime, Samsung, Bumble and Parade.

As you embark on your college journey, we hope these tips inspire you to do something you haven’t done before. Don’t hesitate to step out of your comfort zone, and always keep an open mind. We encourage you to be open to new opportunities. You may discover new creative outlets that will help guide you through the course of your future.

Hi, I’m Catie Pusateri, the Editor-in-Chief of A Magazine. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we receive support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.