meet the internet’s current beauty obsession: bleached brows

illustration by amy dudek

Eyebrows, eyebrows, eyebrows…maybe you like your eyebrows natural, maybe you like using makeup to draw them on, maybe you like them razor thin or maybe you don’t like them at all. If that’s the case, then boy do I have good news for you: Beauty experts at Vogue are saying that thin and bleached eyebrows are the most transformative beauty move you can make today!  Everyone from celebrities to designers to regular people are hopping on the bandwagon to embrace the bleached brow.

Designers LOVE Bleached Brows 

At the Marc Jacobs Fall 2022 show, Gigi and Bella Hadid were seen rocking the trend. Makeup artist Diane Kendal explains how she artfully paired erased brows, a neutral complexion and a hallow gaze at the request of Jacobs to incorporate a “futuristic” and “gothic” beauty-look.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Marc Jacobs (@themarcjacobs)

Jacobs wasn’t the only one to implement the transcending bleached brows on the runway, Versace and Burberry similarly chose to highlight the look during their fall shows as well. Makeup artist Pat McGrath used bleach on models’ eyebrows, and described the makeup look as “strong, daring, powerful, and otherworldly.” Another makeup artist, Marcelo Gutierrez, states that he uses brows as a creative canvas: you can slim them down, bleach, shave, or dye them, and affix them with jewels or glitter. 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by (@marcelogutierrez)

Bleach Brows Off The Runway 

Bleached brows are becoming a statement off the runway too. During the 2022 Met Gala, model Kendall Jenner arrived in a one-night-only brow makeover. Julia Fox has also recently joined others in grabbing a box of bleach and having a go at it. Now, Gen Z is accepting the look as #BleachedBrows is trending on TikTok with more than 160 million views

Now why are people so obsessed with this beauty trend, you might ask? Well, maybe it’s the thrill of feeling like a different person or maybe it’s because your eyes are your favorite facial feature, whatever the reason may be, people love the bleached brow. 

Have I convinced you yet? If so, read below for a safe guide on how to bleach your eyebrows at home

Safe Steps to Bleaching Your Brows At Home: 

• Step 1: Always read the instructions on the container of bleach. This will help avoid damage and irritation. 
  • Step 2: Apply a skin protectant around your brows. Vaseline or Aquaphor can be used for this. 
  • Step 3: Mix hair bleach powder with the cream developer. 
  • Step 4: Use a mascara wand to apply the mix from root to tip. Use the leftover mix to continue covering the brows until they are no longer visible. 
  • Step 5: Cover the brows with small pieces of aluminum foil so it does not dry. 

Note: It’s OK if it feels warm or tingly. However, if you do feel something strange or if you feel pain, wipe it off and rinse immediately. 

• Step 6: Wait 10 minutes and check every three minutes until the color is gone.
  • Step 7: Rinse the bleach off with shampoo and water to stop the chemical reaction. 
  • Step 8: Allow your brows to dry and decide if you want to do another coat of bleach. Note: Wait at least 20 minutes in between and do not do more than two coats in one day.

Hi! I’m Catie Pusateri, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.