all the buzz: expectations for this year’s oscars

Pasha C

“Academy awards” by Pasha C is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.

The glitz, the glamor, the show-stopping looks and, of course, the prestigious accolades all truly encapsulate arguably the biggest night in Hollywood: the Academy Awards. Better known as the Oscars, the award show holds a prestigious honor for films, and year after year creates unforgettable moments in internet history.

From blockbusters like “Top Gun: Maverick” to indie films like “Everything Everywhere All at Once”, this year’s nominations are stacked. The night is sure to bring deserved wins, and some inevitably disappointing snubs. No matter what happens, the nominations for this year’s Oscars already have the world buzzing about what could unfold on Hollywood’s biggest night of the year.

This past year was a revival for movies. Throughout the days of COVID-19, movie theaters were ghost towns, but 2022 set out to be different. People came back to the movies again and again; after all, last year’s films had cinematography to give you chills, storytelling to make your eyes water and even some eye candy to make you melt into your seat. These movies took us on a journey, an experience that immerses you into the lives portrayed on the big screen. 

This year, the 16 nominations for Best Picture truly reflect the diverse array of appreciated films. These include: “All Quiet on the Western Front”, “Avatar: The Way of Water”, “The Banshees of Inisherin”, “Elvis”, “The Fabelmans”, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”, “Tár”, “Top Gun: Maverick”, “Triangle of Sadness” and “Women Talking”. One picture that has surpassed the rest with a whopping 11 nominations is “Everything Everywhere.” 

“Everything Everywhere” has already taken home big awards and is predicted to receive more praise at the Oscars. The film took Best Picture at the Critics Choice Awards, as well as Supporting Actor for Ke Huy Quan and Leading Actress for Michelle Yeoh at the Golden Globes, and both actors are respectively nominated for the Academy’s Supporting Actor and Leading Actress. A24’s unique approach to cinematography as well as its originality and diversity has garnered the film major attention. 

Kent State digital media production student and film enthusiast Stella Naymik discussed  “Everything Everywhere” and why the movie is receiving so much attention.

“This movie is wild and fun and unlike anything anyone has ever seen; It took people by surprise,” Naymik said. “Another aspect of this movie that I’m sure is meaningful to a lot of people is the predominantly Asian cast, and the way ‘traditional Asian parent stereotypes’ are handled.”

The importance of diverse stories like this, especially receiving this much praise, are only the beginning of creating more recognition for diversity in film as well as opening up more opportunities for younger generations to continue that.

This movie and many others are set to have a great chance at victory this year. The nominations have acknowledged the many actors and actresses that have had either a comeback year or a debut year to show the world that they have what it takes to pull at your heart strings. Actors like Brendan Fraser and Ke Huy Quan both had success in the film industry in their younger years but took some time away from acting. Both actors having similar stories of coming back even stronger than before truly resonate with the audience and makes them want to root for their success on and off the screen.

This love could both play to their Oscar nominations in a positive way. Ke Huy Quan shared his feelings on his first Oscar nomination for “Everything Everywhere” via phone call with the Today Show to express his joy, and said, “I’m jumping up and down and screaming so loud!”

Cate Blanchett is also making an appearance in the nominations, representing “Tár”, where according to Nayak, she plays a seemingly “unlikeable but brilliant concert conductor”. Austin Butler is another frontrunner for Actor in a Leading Role for his depiction of Elvis Presley in “Elvis”. This is his first nomination, which is even more monumental after the passing of Lisa Marie Presley, Elvis’s daughter, who was a colossal part of the movie’s support system.

No matter who takes home the ‘gold statue’, these success stories are all award worthy. Below is an interview with Austin Butler on “Hoda and Jenna”, sharing his thoughts on the nomination.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by TODAY (@todayshow)

Fans of the films that shaped this year have created a pandamonium across the world to express their love for the films. Whether big blockbusters like “Avatar: The Way of Water”, “Top Gun: Maverick” or “Elvis” end up overthrowing the underdogs like “Banshees of Inisherin”, “Women Talking” and “The Fabelmans”,  fans around the world will be tuning in to cheer on their favorite movies and rake the viewership in.

Whether you’re a movie critic, film buff or simply viewing the award ceremony just to see the amazing fashion and beautiful faces on the red carpet, this year’s Academy Awards is going to be a huge night that you don’t want to miss.

Click here to find out how to tune in on March 12.

Hi! I’m Catie Pusateri, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.