oscars 2023: the wins, the snubs, the surprises

illustration by ceci foley

Last night was arguably one of the most anticipated nights in Hollywood: the Academy Awards – better known as the Oscars. In its 95th anniversary, the show was packed with four hours of glitz, glamor, huge triumphs and, of course, some upsetting snubs. At the end of the night, new records and achievements were broken, and the speeches were nothing short of tear-jerking. But before the ceremony, the party got started early on the red carpet.

Some of this year’s looks were the definition of show-stopping. Of course, there are so many looks for the night that were spectacular. Here are a few buzzed about looks that could go down in red carpet history. 

Cara Delevingne stunned and delivered classic Hollywood glam by Elie Saab.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Vanity Fair (@vanityfair)

Angela Bassett “did the thing” in a regal and royal dress by Moschino.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Moschino (@moschino)

Lady Gaga served a bold and straight off the runway Versace gown before changing into a simpler silhouette of a T-shirt and jeans for her performance of “Hold My Hand.”

View this post on Instagram

It was not only a big night for fashion, it was also a hugely successful night for “Everything Everywhere All At Once” which sweeped with its total wins coming in at 7 out of its 11 nominations making it the most awarded movie of ALL time

Some of those wins included Jamie Lee Curtis who received Best Supporting Actress for the film, making it her first nomination and win. It also was a first-time nomination and win for Ke Huy Quan for Best Supporting Actor, as well as history-making Michelle Yeoh, who became the first Asian woman to win the award for Best Actress. “EEAAO” also took home the award for Best Director (Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert), Best Original Screenplay, Best Film Editing and of course the coveted award of Best Picture. 

Another big win tonight, Brendan Fraser took home the award for Best Actor in a Leading Role, which was also his first Oscar win. Each nominee for Best Actor were all first-time nominees, which is certainly something to clap for.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Variety (@variety)

Of course with the wins, there are also the upset. While there are many great films being recognized, many of those films and actors didn’t receive the award some people were anticipating. Films like “Elvis”, “Tár” and “The Banshees of Inisherin” all went home empty handed

A major snub of the night was to Angela Bassett for Best Supporting Actress who won the Golden Globe for this same title yet lost to Jamie Lee Curtis. Austin Butler, who also won the Golden Globe and BAFTA for the category of Best Actor, who was a leading frontrunner alongside Brendan Fraser. But the support for one another in the room was endless. In a viral clip on Twitter, Angela Bassett was seen holding Austin Butler’s hand before his award was announced. 

With a touching performance by Lenny Kravitz to share memory of some of those we’ve lost this year, a groundbreaking performance of “Naatu Naatu” from the film “RRR,” as well as an emotional performance of “Hold My Hand” from “Top Gun: Maverick” by the one and only Lady Gaga, there was a lot of love in that room.

As the ceremony came to a close four hours later, host Jimmy Kimmel wrapped up the ceremony. There were emotions online, tears of joy and tears of disappointment for film lovers around the world. But, beyond the awards we somehow managed not to have another explosive moment like what happened last year (IYKYK…)  and that is a win in and of itself. What a night in Hollywood! 

Hi! I’m Catie Pusateri, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.