Modista Annual Fashion Show

Photographer: Delana Ray

On Saturday, Dec. 2, the Modista Fashion Group held its Annual Fashion Show at 7 p.m. in the Student Center Balcony Room, selling over 100 tickets. Modista designers and models received a round of applause at the end, but I am getting ahead of myself. Let’s start from the beginning.

Modista started selling tickets on Nov. 20 for $7.00 at the door, and through their Instagram page. The show was also an opportunity to buy Modista’s merchandise and Rotten Barbie’s handmade jewelry, a boutique store in Kent by Lauren White, a sophomore fashion merchandising major.

All sales from the tickets go back to the organization: “They go back into being able to fund all of the events, any trips in the future, our small business expo every year, all of the meetings we have, fundraising, creating products and operating the group,” said Modista President, Rileyanna Karic.

Modista is a student organization that was founded in 2008 to expand the opportunities for minorities at Kent State’s School Of Fashion. “Minority students, specifically the African-American population at the time, were so desperately in need of a support system and since then it has grown to all different kinds of minority groups,” said Modista President Rileyanna Karic. “We certainly have that backbone of understanding that the foundation of the group is to help minorities and to help create diversity in the fashion industry.”

The theme of the show this year was “Paradox.” “The idea of a paradox is two ideas that seemingly contradict each other,” said Karic. “And to represent all of the complexities that are not just in the fashion industry, but that are in life.” Still, conveying the meaning of “Paradox” was difficult since it, “is such a broad theme and it means something different to everybody,” said Emma Reichlin, Modista’s social media coordinator. “So many cool designers had complex paradoxes that they translated into fashion.”

• Designers: Madison Huzyak, Ashlee Steinberger, Emileigh Paulus, Sarah Ferris, Anna Sherwood, Brianna Hieber, and David Varga

The board started planning the show in July and chose the Student Center ballroom balcony for its intimate environment. “We wanted the show to be more intimate, so the people in the audience could see all the details because there are so many details that the designers put in,” said Reichlin.

On Saturday night, Kenna Hassel, a sophomore musical theater major, opened the show singing “Toxic” by Britney Spears and her presentation left everyone impressed. It was a refreshing way to start a fashion show. She was followed by Karic’s speech introducing the theme and announcing that Modista is now collaborating with the Akron Children’s Museum to be their new philanthropy, making them the first Kent State fashion organization to partner with a non-profit.

Modista had Best In Show awards in previous shows, but this time they opted not to do it. “The next time we do the award, we want to be able to get something for the designer and the model,” said Karic.

Still, that didn’t demotivate designers who gave their very best. Looks were versatile on the runway and even within the same look. Jayana Ricks modeled for Genevieve Davis, a sophomore fashion merchandising major, and wore a black corset paired with black shorts over ripped white pantyhose with pink bows. The bows were everywhere, Ricks’ hair, arms, legs and ankles, giving an innocent and light tone along with a pearl necklace, whereas the dark, faux leather made the perfect contrast.

Brianna Hieber, a freshman fashion design major, also chose contrasting colors for both of her designs. Modeled by Madison Huzyak and David Varga, their looks were bright pink and pitch black. Huzyak wore a pink skirt and top with an overlaying black top, black boots and a pink and black jersey that spelled “Paradox” on the back. Varga had a pink and black, patchwork, v-neck shirt, with black jeans that had pink seamwork along them.

On the other hand, Antonio Watson, a sophomore fashion design major, went for more neutral colors, contrasting between black and white, with model, Jamey Simon, wearing a white vest and pants, black belt, and a dark gray blazer with grommets on the back. His other model, Luiz Henrique Dal Berto, wore ripped jeans with grommets as well, a black jacket, shield-mirrored sunglasses and a white t-shirt that said, “There are no barriers.”

Watson took inspiration from “Industrial warehouses and brutalist architecture,” he said. “I only had about five days to complete this, I got added last-minute, so it was a little bit of a challenge. I started off with a mood board I looked through my Pinterest and the KSU Fashion Library and got some inspiration from that.” Watson chose to make two looks so he could add elements that he would personally wear and elements that he would find appealing to others.

Alison Feather, a junior fashion design major, received some exclamations when her model, Apryl Hanneman, undid the strip on her light pink dress and revealed an organza, black dress with rose outlines on it. “My piece is about mental health and depression,” Feather said. “Growing up I had a friend who passed away from depression and I wanted to embody that concept of beauty and how everyone on the outside looks so positive and happy. So, my model is wearing this gorgeous pink dress and then when you undo it, it’s a rooting rose. Even though someone is struggling, people tend to not view that.”

Each designer interpreted the theme differently and brought personal meaning to their designs. It was a great opportunity for them to tell their story through fashion.

Anyone is welcome to participate in the show, whether as a volunteer, model, or designer. “No matter who you are or where you come from, we know that there is going to be something that you can take away from the show,” said Karic. “It’s not limited to Modista members, it’s not limited to fashion students, it’s not even limited to students.”

Modista fees are $25 for a full year and $15 for the semester. Reach out on their Instagram @modistafashiongroup for more information.

Hi! I’m Annie Gleydura, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.