makeup tips

Photography by: Victoria Black, Model: Christina Black.

Do you ever sit back and examine your makeup after you apply it, thinking that you need a little pop to enhance your look? Well, that’s where I come in. When you do your make up, whether it be casual or glam, I have a few tips for you. 

The category is eyes. Mascara can be your friend and also an enemy. When applying your mascara, you should use an eyelash curler to create length and volume. Look up and then down to apply that beautiful dark coating of mascara to your now long and curled lashes. Now the attention is going straight to your beautiful eyes. If you want a really bold look, do the same application process twice to increase the volume and darkness of your lashes.

Photography by: Victoria Black, @victoria.black
Model: Christina Black, @christina.black

Want even more dramatically long lashes? Try wearing false lashes! They will make it appear that your lashes are darker and fuller than before.

Before you apply your false lashes. Apply a thin coat of mascara to your real eyelashes. This helps the false eyelashes stick to your natural lashes better. The mascara helps to blend the natural lashes and false lashes together to create the illusion that the false lashes are your natural lashes. 

After you have applied some mascara to your eyelashes, add a small amount of eyelash glue, let the glue sit on the eyelash band for about 10 seconds, apply the lash and let it dry. Luckily, lash glue is fast drying, but what makes it fast drying? Well, one of the main components of lash glue  is cyanoacrylate, which is a fast-drying chemical bonding agent.

Beauty gurus have increased in popularity over the years and have been dominating social media. So many people rely on them to show them all of the latest make-up tips.

Kristofer Buckle is a makeup artist whose work has been in publications such as Vogue, Allure, Rolling Stone, Instyle and many more. He has worked with Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera and Blake Lively. He  advises to forget the following and everyday makeup routine. He advises that we should take a look at our skin and decide which area we need help in. There are so many factors that come into play when it comes to keeping our skin happy and healthy. Each day the problem areas of our skin change depending on weather, product, stress, etc. 

Fiona Stiles is an Emmy nominated makeup artist. She regularly creates looks for Victoria Secret, GAP, Calvin Klein and L’Oreal. She uses Tatcha’s Luminous Dewy Skin Mist to get the skin to instantly glow. She says that she likes to mist the face everywhere, but pays close attention to the areas of the face that she wants to shine. Stiles is mindful about where she applies her highlighter because she prefers to keep the skin velvety, not 100% matte. 

Katie Jane Hughes is a manicurist turned makeup artist. Through Instagram she was able to use her platform to post what she wanted about makeup. She advises to switch up makeup tools. She says to look outside of the realm of using traditional foundation brushes for something that will give you a more even application. “Fingers will sometimes help blend things quicker, but a brush will cover the surface faster.” She often uses eye, cheek and powder brushes to apply liquid foundation and concealer. 

To determine your exact shade of foundation color, it is important to swatch along your lower jawline down to the neck. This helps to see which foundation disappears and matches your skin perfectly. It may not be a bad idea to buy two shades of foundation. Variation in foundation options will allow for a more natural finish. In the summer months, you are naturally tanner than you are in the winter months. Having the option of multiple shades of foundation allows us to be prepared for when our skin tone changes throughout the seasons. Overall, having a few different shades is a  great investment. 

Try these tips out to see if they work out for you and pass them on!! ☺ 

Hi, I’m Maria McGinnis, a senior journalism student from Stow, Ohio. I’m also the editor-in-chief of A Magazine. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty, and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.