A 10 Step Skincare Routine: Do You Need It?

Photographer: Tyana Barton
Models: Yamini Kumar and Ariane Robinson
Stylist: Ella Coombs and Ty’ Naya

Face wash, toner, serum, retinol, eye cream, exfoliator and essence. It all has to mean something. If your social media is anything like mine, then I’m sure your pages are flooded with skincare videos and ads for products, or my algorithm is just doing its job and showing me what I like. Even if your fyp isn’t like mine, you’re probably no stranger to the focus on skincare and building the 10-step skincare routine.

The 10-step skincare routine refers to the Korean skincare routine, which gained popularity on TikTok, resulting in a widespread adoption of this method. However, building a skincare routine that’s right for you is the most important.

The 10-step Korean skincare routine consists of the following steps in order: cleansing oil, water-based cleanser, exfoliator, toner, essence, serum, sheet mask, eye cream, moisturizer and SPF in the morning. This method ranges from eight to ten steps and depends on whether you want to layer each step more than once and use several types of the same product.

This method may be beneficial because it focuses on hydration, which is essential for a radiant and glowing appearance. Hydrated skin looks smooth, supple and healthy, and this skincare routine can help to achieve that. I know I want glowing skin, and I’m sure you do too.

Despite the extensive skincare routines we see popularized on TikTok, from my experience, less is more. Personally, adding more products to my skin doesn’t do much good. For my daily routine I like to stick to face wash, a hydrating toner (in the winter months), retinol and moisturizer and face wash, moisturizer and sunscreen in the mornings. This may seem excessive, as some people wash their face, plop on a moisturizer and are ready to go. 

I like to view skincare as quality over quantity. You should incorporate a few strong products instead of countless decent products. We tend to see products on social media or while we’re browsing through the store and are easily influenced by their perceived benefits, but buying a product because we are influenced to do so usually isn’t the most effective route. The key is to do your research. You should invest your money in products that are worth it and will work for your specific skin type. 

Now you’re probably wondering how you know if a product is worth it. Well, it’s up to you. After researching a product and testing it out for yourself, lasting results should be your answer. Fewer high-quality skincare products can be more effective and efficient because you’re targeting specific benefits in fewer steps. In the end, these higher-quality products will be better than a lot of products that are cheaper and could potentially irritate your skin. You can save time too.

Do you need a bunch of products? Well, it’s all about addressing your skin and what it needs. You can find plenty of information out there to build the right routine for you. No matter your experience with the skincare realm, there are products and methods for everyone. Some people might not have the time or money or simply don’t feel like doing a lot. Skincare can get complicated fast, so simplicity is a lifesaver. The American Academy of Dermatology Association recommends using a cleanser, moisturizer and SPF, as they are the basics but beneficial. Anything else is a luxury.

Like me, Ohio State student Kailee Swallie describes her skincare routine as simple, using only face wash at night followed by the CeraVe daily moisturizing lotion and a Norwex microfiber face and body rag in the morning with the CeraVe moisturizer, occasionally using pimple patches. They are such an easy remedy to get rid of those pesky blemishes that won’t seem to go away.

“I do this routine because it’s simple, and I know it works for me. I can be pretty lazy when it comes to skincare, so I like that I can get it done quickly,” Swallie said. 

• Photographer: Tyana Barton
    Stylist: Ella Coombs and Ty’ Naya

• Photographer: Tyana Barton
    Stylist: Ella Coombs and Ty’ Naya

• Photographer: Tyana Barton
    Stylist: Ella Coombs and Ty’ Naya

• Photographer: Tyana Barton
    Stylist: Ella Coombs and Ty’ Naya

• Photographer: Tyana Barton
    Stylist: Ella Coombs and Ty’ Naya

In a New York Times article by Erica Sweeney, experts suggested that a simple skincare routine is effective enough. The dermatologists told Sweeney washing your face, using a moisturizer and topping it with sunscreen are simple yet fundamental steps everyone should follow. Now of course incorporating sunscreen in your morning routine to protect against sun damage like skin cancer, sunburn and premature aging, is the best preventative measure for life-long healthy skin. 

Skincare is not limited. If you want to explore what skincare has to offer and the benefits of different products, then that’s your prerogative. Healthline shares a useful article for those who want a longer routine of what skincare to use and how to use it: morning and night. If a multi-step skincare routine seems too overwhelming and you feel you wouldn’t benefit from it, stick to a simple, quality-over-quantity routine. 

Hi! I’m Annie Gleydura, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.