colin locascio debuts knitwear collection for nyfw s/s 22

Graphic by Tonya Singer

Emerging NYC-based designer Colin LoCascio creates pieces that are colorfully patterned, a tribute to ‘90s and ‘00s sitcoms. The wardrobe of actress Fran Drescher, known for her role in the New York-based television series “The Nanny,” largely influences his design aesthetic. 

Keeping women in mind, he sees clothing as both self-care and expression of self. For the past three years, he has been the design director of Kendall + Kylie, but now his clientele consists of celebrities like Bella Hadid, Cardi B, Lady Gaga, Slick Woods, Lil Yachty and Paris Hilton. 

According to LoCascio, his brand archetype is an unapologetic woman who isn’t afraid of color and a pattern. She makes dresses with “flair, pizzazz and chutzpah” a closet staple. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTw_hTfAKEU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

LoCascio’s Spring/Summer 2022 collection, which he was proud to call his best to date, was modeled by Eloisa Santos in a short film shot in his hometown of Queens, New York, showing clear inspiration by shows like “The Princess Diaries” and “Uptown Girls.” The pattern placements of the floral ball gown of Mia in “The Princess Diaries 3” and the denim overall of Molly in “Uptown Girls” are particularly similar to how he structures most of his graphic and 3D designs in this collection. 

The overall look was a play of nostalgic sweetness, featuring multi-colored doodle prints, knit 3D florals and bow-tie pasta shells, finger painting-printed mesh tops, crochet styles, frills and bucket hats and pastels, offered in a very feminine way.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT0eCWFARoa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

His use of the bow-tie pasta shells was so innovative. From afar they look like your typical bow but up close it’s handcrafted and the simple but effective detail compliments the piece entirely, as if it was always meant to be there. It’s definitely stylish even though it’s quite juvenile. 

The way that LoCascio uses color is so alluring! You’d think adding doodles and using multi-colored prints would sound like a bit much, but his design aesthetic is so chic whilst still in touch with his influences. 
“This playful imagery hails from his childhood as he considers himself a kid of the ‘90s and ‘00s,” says Liana Satenstein, Fashion News Writer for Vogue.

Hi, I’m Grace Avery, the Editor In Chief of A Magazine. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.