who are daisy jones & the six?

illustration by grace carmen

Just imagine, it’s the 1970s. You are in a huge arena filled with loud cheers and adoring fans. On the main stage stands the band Daisy Jones & the Six. Now who are Daisy Jones & the Six? Well, they aren’t a real band, but they will feel real quite soon.

Airing on March 3 is the new Amazon Prime Video series, “Daisy Jones & the Six” based on the novel of the same name by Taylor Jenkins Reid. The show follows a fictional rock band in the 1970s as they make a name for themselves while showing the initial rise of the band and ultimately their fall. In an interview with Reese Witherspoon x Hello Sunshine Reid explained how the story particularly follows the relationship between the two lead singers Daisy Jones and Billy Dunne.

photo by gabby adkins

The story was originally a novel that was published on March 5, 2019. The novel blew up all over TikTok, in the subcommunity of BookTok. There were countless videos of people raving about this novel, the characters and how real this band feels.

Even as I was reading the book, I was so convinced of the existence of the band that I had to look up Daisy Jones & the Six to see if it was actually a real band from the ‘70s. Reid wrote this book in a way that makes this band and these characters truly feel like real historical figures. 

In an interview with Penguin Books UK, Reid explains how she got the majority of her inspiration for this novel by closely examining some of the biggest bands and artists from the ‘70s by reading their memoirs, watching their documentaries and listening to their music. The band that ultimately influenced the majority of this story was Fleetwood Mac and the relationship between Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham.

With the show premiering soon, fans’ anticipations have risen, and the creators of the show have added more for people to look forward to by releasing two of the band’s songs named “Regret Me” and “Look At Us Now (Honeycomb)” before the show has even aired. Along with the show, there will be an album for the band named “Aurora” including all the songs they wrote in the novel. This will be released on the same day as the show, March 3.

With lots of talk about the novel and the upcoming show, it could reinvigorate the ’70s styling in today’s fashion trends.

Many TikTok creators have made videos titled, “Outfits inspired by Daisy Jones & the Six” or “How to dress like a character from Daisy Jones & the Six.”

One TikTok that really caught my attention was a woman explaining how this show may have the same effect on the fashion industry and fashion trends as “Euphoria” did. 

When “Euphoria” first premiered on HBO Max, it rapidly grew in popularity, and with that popularity came fashion trends. We saw so much glitter, strappy pants and shirts and a lot of cut-outs in clothing. For so long, many people wanted to get that “Euphoria” look by dressing like any of the main characters of the show. I feel that “Daisy Jones & the Six” may have a very similar impact on the clothing trends we will be seeing this year and maybe leading into next.

Fashion of the 1970s is already extremely popular in trends today, but I personally feel that this show is going to cause a rise in ’70s fashion because of the large fan base that already exists and the popularity the show is already gaining, before even being released.

If you haven’t heard of this book or show prior to reading this article, I suggest reading the book and then watching “Daisy Jones & the Six” on March 3 on Amazon Prime Video.

You can watch the trailer here:

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Prime Video (@primevideo)

The 1970s was a decade about boldness and “Daisy Jones & the Six” is nothing short of that.

Hi! I’m Catie Pusateri, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.