Kent State CHAARG

By Dani Watts

Body positivity is a constant reoccurring issue that will never go out of style, especially in our society today. With celebrities like Kylie Jenner or Victoria’s Secret models walking the runway, the stigma for girls today to have that “perfect body” or be #bodygoals is greater than ever.

Sometimes finding the motivation to work out can be difficult. Thankfully, a fad here to stay is athleisure. Athleisure is all about wearing workout trends, not just in the gym setting. The street style takes a chicer twist, but still gives off sporty vibes on a comfortable level. If that’s not motivation to hit the gym while looking good, then what is?

At Kent State, there are many clubs and organizations one can join to get involved on campus and find people with similar interests. On the topic of body image, one organization, Kent State CHAARG, is all about changing health attitudes and actions to recreate girls. Their main focus is to make working out fun by incorporating different aspects to workouts that go beyond the treadmill.

Head Ambassador of the club, Anna Ferrato, is a junior nutrition major who has been with the program since her freshman year.

“Basically, the all-around motto of CHAARG is to help girls find that working out can be fun – and it should be,” said Ferrato. “We bring in professional instructors each week so every girl can try a different workout.”

According to CHAARG’s website, the national organization “aims to ignite passion in college-aged girls for health and fitness.” Currently at 37 universities, CHAARG continues to grow.

Not only does this program target the health aspect of girls’ lives, but it can help boost self-esteem in a healthy, non-judgmental environment.

Ferrato says that being a part of CHAARG is being a part of a group that is accepting.

“I like CHAARG because it’s a group of girls from all over, all different backgrounds, who come into the room with one goal,” she said. “No matter what, you’re all supporting each other and not judging each other.”

CHAARG recently introduced their own clothing brand and athleisure line of crewnecks, sweatshirts and workout tank tops. While the brand is about balance, it aims to create that with their workout clothes and now lounge clothes.

Once the girls start shedding pounds, they choose an innovative way to shed their old workout clothes. Last fall, Kent’s chapter held an event called Fitshionista. The girls brought all their old fitness clothes that didn’t fit anymore and donated them to a battered women’s shelter. By doing this, the girls can buy the new name brand athleisure lines, while also supporting a good cause.

CHAARG creates a supportive active environment while remembering the need for meditation and relaxation. Every fall, the club holds retreat where Ferrato says they sit back and admit the things they don’t like about themselves, and they realize that they all worry about the same things.

“When you have girls motivating and supporting you, it’s such a unique feeling because girls don’t usually do that,” said Ferrato. “It’s usually that you’re each other’s biggest judgement instead of each other’s cheerleader.”

The club meets every Tuesday from 7:15-8:15 p.m. or 8:15-9:15 p.m in the MACC Annex on campus. For more information on how to join, visit the Kent chapter website here:

http://chaarg.com/kent-state-university/.

http://chaarg.com/about/

• By Dani Watts

• By Dani Watts

• By Dani Watts

• By Dani Watts

• By Dani Watts

• By Dani Watts