fso’s fashion show centers solely on items from goodwill to promote sustainability

flyer: the fashion student organization

The Fashion Student Organization’s annual Goodwill Fashion Show aims to inspire designers to recycle old clothing from thrift stores. 

The theme for this year’s show is flora and fauna, and it will include about 12 designers, each with a few models. Since January, the FSO board and over 40 FSO members have been planning the show. 

“We try to use as many volunteers as possible, of our members, just so it’s a good experience for them,” Mikayla Doughney, FSO president and senior fashion merchandising major, said. 

The objective of the fashion show is to have designers repurpose old clothing instead of making new materials and adding to the pollution the fashion industry already causes. This limits designers to thrifted clothing only and allows them to style outfits or create new looks with fabrics they buy from thrift stores. 

“The fashion industry is the second most polluting industry in the world, and if you thrift and you keep what already is out there and just repurpose it and either make it your own or just re-wear, it definitely helps the environment a lot,” Doughney said. 

The Goodwill Fashion Show will take place in the auditorium of Rockwell Hall on March 4, at 7 p.m. Tickets for the show will be $5 for FSO members and $7 for non-FSO members. 

Hi, I’m Grace Avery, the Editor In Chief of A Magazine. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.