How the Entertainment Industry Collaborates with the Fashion Industry

Photographer: Veronica Fedrova
Stylists: Maria Melucci and Drew Carlton
Models: Maria Melucci, Drew Carlton

The politics behind red carpets go unnoticed by many people who spectate these televised events at home. Behind the velvet curtain, many celebrities and fashion designers strike up deals and write checks to make a statement that means so much more than wearing an outfit just because it looks good. Widely televised pop culture events like the Super Bowl and the Oscars are essential to the public’s perception of famous people, and the designers that want their work to receive just as much attention as the star wearing it.

• Photographer: Veronica Fedrova
    Models: Maria Melucci, Drew Carlton

Super Bowl LVII broke records and made headlines for being the most-watched telecast in U.S. television history. It would be naive to think that this feat wasn’t influenced by the attendance of the one and only Taylor Swift who, this season, dedicated her time to supporting her partner Travis Kelce at his games.

Swift’s attendance at Chiefs games throughout the season increased viewers dramatically and is a powerful example of how fashion brands harness television to reach a much wider audience. According to Falon Fetemi at Forbes, her presence has done more for the NFL than their previous tactics for heightening female viewership. During a game earlier in the season, Swift’s attendance led to 27 million viewersthe most viewership of a Sunday night game since Super Bowl LVI. Her presence also led to a 400% spike in the sales of Kelce’s jersey. Seeing these stats combined with the knowledge of the Super Bowl’s rapid approach surely caused a few big names in fashion to try to latch their brand onto Swift’s outfit, and that is exactly what happened.

Swift pulled up to Allegiant Stadium wearing stylish jeans from the brand Area, who had just wrapped up their fashion week show that same Sunday. This is not the first time that Swift has endorsed Area, having been photographed in more of their clothes leaving a dinner party or a recording studio. This, however, was the first time over 100 million people would see Swift in their jeans, truly a marketing match made in heaven.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Check the Tag (@checkthetag)

In addition to the Super Bowl’s new A-list celebrity spectators, awards season also falls around this time of year, providing more opportunities for designers to put their work in front of millions of viewers who tune into shows like the Oscars. Awards season styling is a flurry of deals, partnerships and endorsements that often have very little to do with the celebrity’s personal taste and more with branding and marketing. 

Celebrity stylist Emily Sanchez shared her experience with red carpet styling with Independent UK, It often makes sense for a talent to think of a designer they have a relationship with first to wear for a big event as it’s sentimental and a way of honoring that relationship for that big moment.” 

Sanchez went on to explain how brands will oftentimes wait to agree to dress an Oscar attendee until it is revealed that they are nominated for an award or are presenting one, as those are better press opportunities than sticking their label to someone who is just an audience member. It is quite common in the industry, as well for designers, to pay celebrities to wear one of their designs, and similarly, for celebrities to decline an offer from a fashion house, jeweler, shoe designer or really anyone who could contribute to a final look because they were not being paid enough. If you have ever seen a red carpet look that appears ill-fitting, or unflattering on a celebrity at an award ceremony, it is likely because an adequate paycheck was prioritized above all else.

However, red carpets do not always have to be a marketing competition for whose client wins the golden statue. In recent years celebrities have taken it upon themselves to use their status as an award show attendee to spread awareness on issues of the industry. For example, a handful of celebrities have chosen to re-wear old gowns or suits from previous events in the name of promoting sustainability in fashion. The fashion industry certainly tends to be wasteful with all the custom-designed, only-to-be-worn-once gowns and all the toxicity of fast fashion, so celebrities using their status at events to encourage sustainable fashion is a beneficial way to harness that red carpet press for something positive.

• Photographer: Veronica Fedrova
    Models: Maria Melucci, Drew Carlton

Advertising and television have gone hand in hand since the invention of the silver screen allowed people to feel connected to their favorite actors, athletes or singers and feel as though they have been given a window through which to experience the glamor and fame for themselves for a night. As political and complicated the dressing of celebrities is from a planned paparazzi snapshot to the attendance of a massive television event, at the end of the day, celebrities can be used to provide a helpful endorsement for a lesser-known designer or start a movement in the name of improving the fashion industry. While at times, it may seem like all a matter of money, red carpets and other pop culture events provide assistance and collaboration for brands and designers, celebrities and fans alike no matter how they tune in to the show.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Complex Pop (@complexpop)

Hi! I’m Annie Gleydura, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.