Modern y2K Is Not the Same as Authentic 2000s Fashion: Here’s Why

Photographer%3A+Felicity+DickenModels%3A+Fadhila+Fofana+and+Mallory+HughesStylists%3A+Stephanie+Mossop+and+Jenna+Dixon+
Photographer: Felicity Dicken
Models: Fadhila Fofana and Mallory Hughes
Stylists: Stephanie Mossop and Jenna Dixon

Ah, the 2000s, a time for low-waisted jeans, halter tops, Juicy Couture tracksuits, sparkles, the brightest colors, mini skirts, cargo pants and more. You either love this decade or you hate it. When it comes to some popular trends–like dresses over jeans– the decade can get pretty controversial. Jessica Alba wore a white dress over blue jeans on the red carpet, so before you hate on it, remember even the queen of this style was rocking the unlikely pair back in the day. I love the 2000s aesthetic because it involves a playful array of clothing and when styled correctly, it is at the top of the fashion game. 

The “fashion girlies” –as social media has affectionately coined us– are bringing back 2000s fashion, but this time they’re calling it Y2K. However, there are differences between modernized Y2K fashion and authentic 2000s fashion. 

2000s fashion is for the particular eye (real fashionistas get it), but people criticize it. As fashion sensibility changes, some people are coming back around to the unique fashion choices of the early 2000s. This is because we don’t style authentic 2000s fashion anymore, just a modern Y2K version of it.

• Photographer: Felicity Dicken

Authentic 2000s fashion

To achieve an authentic 2000s outfit, try styling some hand-me-down clothing. Ask your mom, aunts and other people who may still have some vintage 2000s clothing. Try accessorizing with earrings, sunglasses, hats, belts and jewelry to up your look. Look at Victoria’s Secret too. It’s still in the game when it comes to 2000s clothing, like its iconic foldover low-waisted leggings. Online shops like Etsy, Depop and Mercari have listed 2000s items as well.

What happened to the sparkles, the extravagance and the accessories? When I think about clothing from that time, I picture animal prints with hoop earrings, a flashy belt and platform sandals. Now, I feel like we lost some of the true meaning of 2000s clothing. The colors are gone, along with the flashiness. Maybe some people are scared to explore more because the 2000s were so criticized. It seems too simple and basic. I want to see more Destiny’s Child in the 2000s-inspired fits walking around. 

Here are some of my favorite looks from the 2000s. Let’s not forget Christina Aguilera, Paris Hilton and Brtiney Spears are some of the women who paved the way for 2000s fashion.

Supermodel Devon Aoki walked down the runway in the 2000s for big-name brands including Chanel and Paco Rabanne.

Popular icon from the 2000s Lindsay Lohan, who starred in the popular movie Mean Girls.

Pop star from the 2000s, Britney Spears, who gave us popular songs like “Oops!… I Did It Again” and “Toxic.”

Just because it’s a crop top doesn’t mean it’s part of 2000s fashion. Clothes now are simply just modern fashion rebranded to be Y2K. Here are some looks doing it right. 

Rebranded Y2K

It can be hard to find authentic clothing from this era. However, thrift stores, second-hand markets, consignment shops and flea markets sell the real deal, not everyone is willing to dig through the stacks and racks of old clothing. Fast fashion brands are jumping on this trend, and stores like Shein are leading the charge. If you go to Shein’s website and type in “Y2K” plenty of popular items labeled as Y2K will pop up. I encourage you to take a look at Shein’s website and see that Y2K clothing is not what it used to be. 

• Photographer: Felicity Dicken

• PETER

Joanna Elizabeth from Fashion Gone Rogue said, “Y2K fashion reflects a unique style that emerged in the late ‘90s and early 2000s. This aesthetic is characterized by its bold, playful and futuristic fashion elements, drawing inspiration from the cultural and technological advancements of the era. It embraces a blend of metallic textures, vibrant colors and innovative designs that capture the spirit of the turn-of-the-century optimism.” 

In other words, the 2000s fashion style was inspired by the time period and everything it brought, like pop culture, music and hit movies.

2000s fashion will forever be in style, from its eccentric patterns to the bold colors and accessories, and it is fun to style and create looks inspired by the clothing of that time. Modern Y2K and authentic 2000s fashion are different, but whatever you want to wear, let’s not forget about the authenticity of this fashion time-period.

Hi! I’m Annie Gleydura, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.