sheterria sparks is creating her own opportunity 

photo courtesy of SheTerria Sparks

Fashion inspiration is different for every individual, that’s what makes it unique. Some grow up with a love for fashion while others grow into it. Many people find their inspiration from different things, but perhaps the most impactful source is yourself. Being able to create a brand based on personal inspirations is something SheTerria Sparks, a senior English major at The Ohio State University, succeeds in. 

As a child, Sparks enjoyed dressing herself in a fashionable way with matching outfits. Growing up, Sparks’ father Terrence Sparks would take her to the mall and say, “if you’re gonna walk into a room, make sure you’re put together.” 

Her love for fashion stayed the same, but in her pre-teen years she realized that her body type wasn’t the same as those advertised in the media. Rather than let that discourage her, Sparks learned how to manipulate the clothing she bought and tailored it to her own body and sense of style. 

“When I was younger I never really thought about people being designers at our age, it seemed out of reach,” Sparks said.  “But once I got older and started working with my friend Josh, I realized I could do this myself and that anything is possible.”

While still studying at Kent State as a fashion merchandising major, she began working on her brand Perihelion towards the end of 2021. “I would have blog posts about fashion advice, lifestyle tips and more,” Sparks said. “I’ve always been the person that people come to for advice.”

photo courtesy of SheTerria Sparks

The name Perihelion comes from Sparks’s love for astrology. Perihelion is the point in the orbit of a planet, comet or asteroid closest to the sun. “I interpret that as reaching your best potential, or just feeling like you’re at your best moments. I feel like that’s what my brand and blog are supposed to represent,” Sparks said.

Perihelion has evolved into a community driven brand based off of the support system it created. When asked about ways Perihelion has evolved, she said, “At first I was just doing it to build my resume as a writer, but then I began to run into people over time at fashion shows and events that wanted to be featured on the blog.”

Over time Sparks started to write about what enticed others and what they wanted to see on her page: “Really making it less about me, that’s why I think it was never really about me because I was always trying to center it around my community.” 

• photo courtesy of SheTerria Sparks

• photo courtesy of SheTerria Sparks

Beyond being a fashion community where Perihelion spotlights interviewed peers and other creatives, Sparks has continued to expand her brand as Perihelion recently released its first clothing line Zenith

When Sparks was creating her clothing line she knew she wanted to keep her theme with astrology. Zenith is when the sun, moon or celestial sphere is directly above you. 

“Taking what I like to do and finding a way to make it accessible for others is a big inspiration,” Sparks said. She explains that she is the only person that knows how she likes to dress to feel confident and can channel that energy into her own designs for others. 

Sparks does everything but the sewing and some videography for her brand and has built it from the ground up. Being a full-time student and entrepreneur isn’t easy but it is a challenge that Sparks enjoys. 

“I just want other people to feel confident when they put clothes on or feel good after they read the blog,” Sparks said.

Hi! I’m Catie Pusateri, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.