taylor swift’s the eras tour takes over kent students’ closets 

Eva Rinaldi

photo by eva rinaldi is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

Taylor Swift announced The Eras Tour in October 2022 describing it as a journey through the musical eras of her career. Swift’s show is divided into 10 different eras: “Taylor Swift,” “Fearless,” “Speak Now,” “Red,” “1989,” “Reputation,” “Lover,” “Folklore,” “Evermore” and “Midnights.” Each era showcases different genres and looks whether it be her country albums with her curly hair and cowboy boots, or her pop albums full of sparkly pant suits and her short blonde bob. This is Swift’s first tour since her “Reputation” stadium tour in 2018, making Swifties more excited than ever to see her perform live. 

The tour kicked off in March as Swifties scrambled to find their outfits for the concerts. Fans from all around the world choose their favorite era, song, music video or even award show looks from Swift. 

Freshman fashion merchandising major Maria Melucci continues to rack her brain while she comes up with an outfit for Swift’s show in Pittsburgh, whether it be a solemn gray look for Swift’s “Folklore” album or a colorful, sparkly look for her album “1989.”  

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift)

“I’m gonna do the ‘Midnights’ era,” Melucci said. “An outfit from her ‘Bejeweled’ music video, she is on some type of cloud thing and I really liked that outfit.” 

Swift’s most recent album, “Midnights” consists of sparkly bedazzled clothing with emphasis on colors like lavender and navy blue. Melucci plans to embody Swift by using embellishments and sparkles to enhance her shorts and top for the show.  

Junior photography major Braelyn Ryba is also working on her ‘Midnights’ era outfit. 

“I love the color navy and I’m a silver jewelry girl,” Ryba said. “I feel like it will be really fun to put together.” During the tour fans have seen how Swift’s outfits pay homage to each one of her era’s. Swift has worn a sparkly fringe dress for “Fearless, a snake covered body suit for “Reputation,” an enchanting princess ball gown for “Speak Now” and flowy gowns for “Folklore” and “Evermore.” 

“I like the fact that like each body suit she wears matches each era,” Ryba said. “I think that’s really smart.” 

“I know she’s been changing it up a lot to try and keep everyone on their toes so she may have a different wardrobe entirely when I see her,” Ryba said.

View this post on Instagram

Not only does Swift change up her outfits for each show, she also picks “surprise songs” each night of the tour. 

“I have been trying to avoid spoilers,” Ryba said. 

While some fans check social media after each concert to see if they missed out on their favorite song, others shield themselves from clues. Either way, fans wait and hope to hear their favorite songs from Swift’s different eras.

“It would be really cool to hear something from some of her earlier stuff,” Ryba said. “I do love ‘Lover’ and some of her more current albums but it’d be really cool to hear something from debut.

To ensure she keeps her fans “on their toes,” she has formulated a circulation of multiple different artists and special guests for the tour. Her openers include Gracie Abrams, HAIM, Phoebe Bridgers, MUNA, Beabadoobee, Girl in Red, Gayle and Owenn. All of Swift’s openers specialize in different genres of music, catering to her wide ranged audience. 

Whether fans choose to wear cowboy boots and a fringe dress or a pink heart covered dress, the much-awaited night of the concert is sure to bring all of Swift’s eras together. 

Hi! I’m Catie Pusateri, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.