Five Nights At Freddy’s Excellence

Art: Andy Hacket

The “Five Nights at Freddy’s” movie premiered in theaters on Oct. 27 after months of speculation and excitement and clocked in with 132.6 million dollars in global sales. Individuals everywhere flocked to free their “inner nerd” and unearth the lore of the game that first debuted in 2014. I was one of many to feed into the curiosity and dashed to Kent Theater for a nearly sold-out showing.

Despite the 29% on Rotten Tomatoes, the movie astounded me in many ways. Many did not go into this with an expectation of a world-class film, but more to heal their inner child. I saw this movie for the 11-year-old me, who crowded around the only girl on my bus with an iPod to watch her play the mobile game. While the plot lacked in some areas, one aspect really stood out: the animatronics themselves.

The costume design was insane. Each costume features CGI animatronics, rather than full-sized costumes. This adds to the horror of the movie, as each costume incorporates the animatronics from the game in life-size form with actors trapped inside of them.

The design of these costumes was integral to garnering positive fan feedback. Costume designer, Robert Bennett stated in an interview with The Direct just how important design features were to film by saying, “The real trick is finding the right materials that can last the entire length of the shoot, but are also light and durable.” Fashion designers don’t just create pieces, but they study material for functionality, which makes them a fundamental part of film design. It isn’t just the plush exteriors of these costumes that have so much thought put into them, but the sculpture of each animatronic as well. The movie utilized Jim Henson’s Creature Shop, who is the designer of the Muppets, to sculpt and build the suits the actors wore. This process showcases the intricacy of designs, as they combine metalwork, technology and design to make horror come to life.

The costuming of this movie adds an extra layer of effort and detail for the purpose of fan enjoyment and appreciation. Additionally, it adds to the horror aspect by making life-size versions of the video game’s antagonist that can malfunction just like the game. Design is such an important field, and so much more than what is generalized to be; without fashion design, so many movies would be left lackluster. The “Five Nights at Freddy’s” movie was campy, yet curiosity-clenching, ultimately satisfying fans of their years of wonder. Most of all, the nostalgia was amplified and made possible by the pure artistry and intricacy of costuming.

Hi! I’m Annie Gleydura, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.