fitting in in florence

photos by harris cheifetz, devin feeley and brooke fenenbock // model: madeleine craven

The Renaissance fashion of Florence, Italy, in the 15th century encapsulated a restrictive and rigid style of dress for women including tight corsets, ornate jewelry and unrestrained layering. Layering was utilized as a tool to show off prestige and status, as fabric was expensive to make at the time. There was a sense of extremism when it came to a wealthy woman’s everyday apparel, with women filling the court with lavish and stiff silhouettes. 

photos by harris cheifetz, devin feeley and brooke fenenbock // models: tamara maroño garza and madeleine craven // styled by devin feeley and brooke fenenbock

“Fitting in in Florence” eliminates the confinement of the Italian Renaissance fashions. By utilizing a similar silhouette of the Italian Renaissance but not conforming to the restrictions of the era, we are left with room for change, function and resistance. We grant each other the freedom to express ourselves openly and consciously declare that fashion has no distinct gender, style or limits. Pattern mixing, unconventional accessorizing and a gender nonconforming execution to the outfit is a way we choose not to comply with “fitting in.”

• photos by harris cheifetz, devin feeley and brooke fenenbock // models: tamara maroño garza and madeleine craven // styled by devin feeley and brooke fenenbock

• photos by harris cheifetz, devin feeley and brooke fenenbock // model: madeleine craven

Hi! I’m Catie Pusateri, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.