New York Fashion Week Picks

Tory Burch S/S’17

As New York Fashion Week comes to a close and we switch our attention to London, it’s time to talk about some of the major trends and themes that have been picked up during one of the most iconic times of the year in the fashion world. During NYFW, every designer had envisioned a story and a visual concept capable of bringing their Spring/Summer collection to life. There were definitely tons of hits and misses throughout the week. Known-for-spring-collections, Tory Burch and completely-new-direction, Coach were two collections that were a hit, and both were created due to inspiration from certain parts of the country.

Tory Burch

Tory Burch sticking to what she knows best will always win over customers, especially this season. Her recurring theme has and seems like it always will be color; bright pinks and greens covered the runway this fashion week, along with burnt orange, navy and red. She incorporated different colors into every look so that none truly looked the same, but the collection as a whole still appeared cohesive and communicated her theme.

As for patterns, Burch had a variety; floral, checkered, nautical, and country-style were just a few of the many designed for the spring season. The combination of patterns in the show contributed to Burch’s inspiration from women of the East and West Coasts. The nautical paid homage to East Coast women, and the floral, bohemian-esque prints were especially for West Coast women.

With the combination of color and pattern, Burch still managed to embody her signature preppy style into every piece. Collared shirts, knit sweaters, cardigans, and blazers were a-plenty throughout the collection, showing younger designers that you are able to hold onto your signature brand style while still expanding to fit the trends present in the industry.

Burch took inspiration from both coasts to create her newest collection and used every element at hand to produce looks that honored each location, while still managing to make the women look like quintessential Tory Burch women.

From the designer herself, here are her thoughts on the Spring/Summer 2017 collection: “East Coast meets West Coast. For Spring/Summer 2017, we begin out East, hostess chic to cool prep. From there, we continue to the free-spirited beach towns of the West Coast. It’s about contrast: graphic motifs and engineered prints, rope and rickrack, pearls and macramé, mules and moccasins, structured and bohemian ease. Relaxed and effortless…quintessential American style.”

Coach 1941

Seemingly opposite of the Tory Burch brand, creative director Stuart Vevers of Coach 1941 has truly reinvented the image of Coach’s brand. Vever’s inspiration this season came from Sante Fe, his summer vacation destination. From there, he brought in a western-punk feel to the brand’s latest collection to manifest a rockabilly spirit.

Leather jackets and vests were in full force on the runway, different shaped studs and various pins embellished the garments left and right. The leather trend continued to be seen in skirts, belts and other outerwear, some including fringe detailing.

One of the most notable points of the show were the shoes. Vevers amplified his rock-n-roll inspired runway show by adding outrageous detail to the classic creeper shoe, just as he did with the leather and denim jackets. Creepers were featured with studs, leather accents and fringe.

Although the theme of the show was hardcore rockabilly, Vevers also showcased softer and more feminine qualities underneath all the studs and leather. He uses the classic baby doll silhouette throughout the show, yet those too were created with black lace and fringe, keeping the show cohesive and consistent.

• Tory Burch S/S’17

• Tory Burch S/S’17

• Tory Burch S/S’17

• Tory Burch S/S’17

• Coach 1941 S/S’17

• Coach 1941 S/S’17

• Coach 1941 S/S’17

• Coach 1941 S/S’17