is the manicure worth it?

Illustration by Amy Dudek

One thing almost anyone can enjoy is a trip to the nail salon to get a relaxing mani and pedi. There is an endless variety of shapes, colors and designs, making it easy for people of all ages to enjoy. Some opt for a classic gel manicure, while others may prefer long stiletto acrylics. Everyone has nails, so anyone can appreciate getting them done. 

Nails have become a true art form, and they can be quite beautiful. Many individuals use their nails as a small form of self-expression. You can learn a lot about a person based on their nails, whether they are bold, minimalistic or outgoing.  Recently, people seem to have evolved from getting their nails done once in a while for special occasions to getting a fresh set of acrylics every two weeks. However, it can be difficult to make time for a full nail treatment. Some sets of nails can take hours, and they can be pricey. Sure, it is nice to have a spa day once in a while, but is it worth it to be consistent?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVODzrFBJeF/ 

There’s something to be said about confidence a new set of nails can bring someone. Something so simple can be a complete mood-shifter. I, for one, feel empowered when my nails are clean and healthy. As it turns out, I am not the only one. Brittney Gibson writes in an article for Sweety High, “It didn’t take me long before I realized the one simple piece of self-care that certainly gives me a lasting boost of confidence was literally right beneath my nose: a manicure.” Gibson is one of many women who have discovered a newfound. It’s important to do things for yourself that make you feel good, no matter how small. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVQXLVCgGPs/ 

A day at the nail salon is a great form of self-care and a reminder of self-worth. As humans, we are made to take care of ourselves. It is nice to have someone do something for you every once in a while. Similar to going out to eat, getting your nails done can be a way to treat yourself. Not to mention, getting your nails done is actually healthy for you. After all, nails are a part of the body, and they deserve as much attention as any other. 

The time spent at the salon is also a great opportunity to escape life and relieve stress. It’s a good time to force yourself to be alone with your thoughts. It is almost impossible to be on your phone, so use that time to its full advantage — taking a break has also been proven to improve productivity. While you may feel as though you may have too much work to do or too many tasks to get done, you are actually doing yourself a favor by taking the time out of your day to take your mind off of them. Clever shares a quote from wellness trainer Krista-Lynn Landolfi who states that “taking screen breaks throughout your day will help you get more done with greater ease and enjoyment and will also lower stress on your body and mind, which will benefit your overall health.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVMOjBulrlU/

Get out of your comfort zone with a new set of nails. Test yourself by trying bold colors or crazy designs. Or, if you typically go for the bolder option, try something more refined and classic. There are an endless amount of options: shapes vary from classic square to coffin; colors from neutrals to vibrant neons; and designs can be as intricate as a portrait to a classic french tip. For those who are hesitant to push themselves, it’s a low-stakes way to explore your style.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWE927hIKmM/ 

Getting a manicure isn’t necessary to fix insecurities or anxieties, but it certainly can’t hurt to pamper yourself every once in a while. Even if you don’t like the extravagant designs, or wearing nail polish at all, a trip to the salon can provide a little special treatment and time to yourself. It may not be an affordable option for some to get their nails done every few weeks, but it is still important to take a couple of hours to care for yourself and maybe even paint your own nails. This being said, I think it’s safe to say that the manicure is worth it for the mind, body and soul. 

Hi, I’m Grace Avery, the Editor In Chief of A Magazine. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.