Copenhagen Street Style: Winter Edition

Courtesy of Unsplash Photographer: Mukuko Studio

Walking through the streets of Copenhagen presents a style uniquely its own. The Scandinavian influence is hard at work, and it’s no secret that the capital of Denmark is a leader in the fashion world. But Copenhagen style contributes an extra bonus with winter style tips due to its cold and unforgiving temperatures during the winter months. Natives of the city know how to dress to impress while also staying warm and comfortable.

According to an article in Vogue Scandinavia by Allyson Shiffman, “It is a look that prioritizes practicality and revels in neutral tones. It is luxurious, yes, but never flashy.” Scandinavian culture is known for its minimalism and muted colors, preferring to air towards the side of comfort and practicality. Scandinavians also go for a more unfinished look, as if they just rolled out of bed and threw on an ultra-chic outfit. Low effort with a fashionable outcome is their goal.

When it comes to Scandinavian style, there are five rules that the city of Copenhagen generally abides by. According to Scandinavian Standard in an article titled, What is Danish Fashion? A Guide to Cool Dressing in a Cool Climate, “1. It’s better to go for quality than quantity; 2. Layering is key; 3. When in doubt, wear black!; 4. Second hand isn’t second rate; and 5. The real key to Danish dressing is leaving things a bit undone.”

Scandinavian fashion is also centered around sustainability. Buying sustainable fashion is very important to the Danish people, and they don’t see any lesser value in buying secondhand clothing. They seek out brands that are working towards zero waste and prefer to buy clothing of higher quality. The better the quality, the longer it can be worn, and the overall higher chance it has of being picked up by its next owner at a secondhand market. According to The Nordic Nomad, “Many designers and brands in the city prioritize creating environmentally conscious and ethically produced fashion. This green focus has established Copenhagen as a leader in the industry when it comes to eco-friendly fashion.”

It’s also important to note that Copenhagen is a city focused on alternate modes of transportation: walking, biking or taking public transit. Most residents don’t have a car, hence why practicality is so important in their style. In the winter months, the layering aspect of Danish fashion is extremely important as well as their favorability towards cozy fabrics, such as wool, that add the extra bonus of being extremely warm.

It’s impossible to talk about Copenhagen street style without addressing one of the main components in how Danes live their lives: Hygge, pronounced hoo-ga. The most basic way to define Hygge is to describe it as a feeling of coziness and comfortability. Danes try to insert this idea into every aspect of their lives from how they dress, the food they eat, the way their houses are decorated and their social lives.

According to Meik Wiking in his book “The Little Book of Hygge,” “Danish fashion is sleek, minimalistic, elegant, but not highly strung. In many ways, it is a sweet spot between hygge and minimalistic functional design.” Wiking goes on to describe the basic components of a Danish outfit: scarves, black, top bulky, layers and woolen socks. He also says, “The Danish hairstyle is casual to the point of being borderline lazy. Wake up and go.”

For many, Copenhagen fashion may be the exact combination of low effort with the high style look they are trying to achieve. It can be hard to sacrifice comfort for style or take a long time to get ready each morning. Luckily, Danes have found a way to be stylish without all the extra annoyances. So grab your sweaters and wool socks, and show your style like a true Dane.

Hi! I’m Annie Gleydura, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.