Creating Your Own Clothes: Knitwear

Art by: Mikaela Gomez

Cozy sweaters, hats and scarfs are a staple in most closets during the cold fall and winter months. Most people buy these products from a store, but some have turned towards making their own and have discovered a new world of artists and creators in knitwear.

The craft of knitting and crocheting may have once been reserved for older women, making hats and gloves for their grandkids, but as life slowed down during the Covid-19 pandemic, many Gen Z and Millenials realized the craft wasn’t just a great way to pass time, but a fun hobby they continued to do even after quarantine times had ended. 

According to an article by Lois Alter Mark on Forbes.com, “Experts agree that knitting is a great stress reducer, focusing your attention on the task at hand and resulting in something tangible you can be proud of.” Many feel that knitting is a great way to relax and find it meditative saying, “Knitting is the 21st century yoga.”

With the increase in knitting and crocheting, many hobby knitters and crocheters have started to share their craft on social media, urging others to try or share patterns and ideas for fellow artists. Whether someone is just starting out in the craft or wants to join a community of like-minded people, there are plenty of accounts serving the knitwear community on Instagram. The article Knitting Artists You Should Be Following On Instagram by Caroline Biggs highlights popular knitting accounts for anyone looking to get their start in the craft. One of these accounts, Black Girl Knit Club, was founded as a way to build a community for black knitters. One of the founders, Vea Koranteng says in the article, We realized there wasn’t a space or group for women that enjoyed knitting that represented us.” Black Girl Knit Club offers patterns, yarn and information about diversity in the knitting world. 

If knitting doesn’t sound appealing, crocheting is a good alternative for people still looking to do a textile craft. While knitting uses two needles to knit yarn together, crocheting uses a single hook. According to the website Nimble Needles, “Crocheting requires a bit less dexterity and multi-tasking and can thus be said to be easier.” 

Crocheting is equally as popular as knitting and also has a large base of artists on Instagram showing off their craft and sharing patterns for others to use. In another article by Carole Biggs titled, Crocheting Artists You Should Be Following On Instagram, “Both nostalgic and entertaining, this technique provides a crafty yet relaxing way to design your own unique clothing and décor items.”

Instagram is also a great way for textile artists to showcase their work. One of these crochet artists is Maya Luna Corazon. She has featured her work on her Instagram page mayalunacorazon to her 39.4k Instagram followers. Caroline Briggs says, “In 2016, Schmittlotheim, Germany-based artist Maya Luna Corazon started a YouTube channel to help people learn to crochet. Today, she has over 55 thousand subscribers and dozens of free-to-watch tutorials on how to crochet everything from bralettes to crop tops and cardigans.”

Whether knitting or crocheting, there are endless possibilities in the textile craft that can provide stress relief and one-of-a-kind handmade garments that can’t be found anywhere else. While it is an excellent hobby, it is also a great way to express creativity and create pieces that would otherwise not be found in a store. 

Hi! I’m Annie Gleydura, A Magazine’s editor-in-chief. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important and entertaining news from the realms of fashion, beauty and culture. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate to A Magazine.